Albury - Surrey Life Towns & Villages 2013
- Credit: Archant
Once upon a time, the whole village of Albury was moved to appease the Lord of the Manor. Today, its roots run deep
A little trust
The Albury Trust, which was founded in 1979 by Dr Maurice Burton to help preserve special areas of interest in the district, has completed many projects in the village, including the restoration of the Pigeon House in Weston Yard, the provision of wrought iron village signs at each end and the construction of the Montgomery Memorial and seats on Albury Heath.
The grape vine
Established in 2009 by Nick Wenman, Albury Vineyard aims to produce quality organic sparkling and rosé wines from vines grown exclusively in the Surrey Hills. The vineyard was fortunate enough to have their very first bottles of its first-ever wine, Silent Pool rosé, served on the royal barge during the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee river pageant celebrations.
Albury Park Mansion has beautiful gardens laid out by famed designer John Evelyn but they aren’t the buildings main attraction. That honour lies with the 63 uniquely designed brick chimneys by Pugin, which replicate the Elizabethan chimneys of Hampton Court Palace. The mansion now houses luxury apartments.
- 1 Win a £1000 rug from Alternative Flooring
- 2 Win a Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 Digital Charcoal Grill and Smoker
- 3 Christmas markets in and around the Cotswolds
- 4 Christmas in Hertfordshire 2021: Top festive markets
- 5 How Louise Minchin will be spending Christmas 2021after I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here!...
- 6 Magical Christmas markets in Surrey 2021
- 7 Magical Christmas markets in Suffolk 2021
- 8 Magical Christmas markets in Sussex 2021
- 9 WIN £250 worth of Christmas food and drink
- 10 How a unique scholarship programme can improve your child’s education and future prospects
Albury’s Saxon church,
of Four Weddings and a Funeral fame, is now owned by the Churches Conservation Trust and is opened daily by volunteers.
In the centre of the village, you’ll find the quintessential country inn, The Drummond Arms
The William IV
(01483 202685) in nearby Little London is also a popular stop-off. Just down the road lies Farley Heath, where one of Surrey’s few Roman remains, a temple, can be found.
Amidst the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, near Blackheath, you’ll find
Barnett Hill (01483 893361)
Albury is found on the A248, with the closest station found at the neighbouring Chilworth.