CORNWALL GARDENS OPEN FOR CHARITY
Gardens open in Helston and beyond in August to raise funds for charity National Garden Scheme
From a hidden valley with a fairy well to marshland walks and overflowing flower beds, there are a diverse collection of Cornish gardens opening during August to support the National Garden Scheme’s chosen charities.
New to the scheme this year is The Homestead, a privately owned garden in Crelly, near Helston. It will be open to the public for just a few short hours, from 1pm to 4.30pm on Sunday August 10.
It’s a woodland garden made up of three acres of divided gardens and three acres of woodland and wildlife habitat. It features an apple orchard - showcasing Cornish varieties where chicken, ducks and geese roam free, a vegetable and cutting garden, a mature garden, a walled garden, a Japanese area and a pond - all complemented with archways, pergolas, seating, water features and sculptures.
“It’s a garden for all seasons with planting that gives year round interest and has been a work in progress for the past two decades,” said owners, Shirley Williams and Chris Tredinnick.
Entrance costs £4, children are free and light refreshments will be available. All proceeds will be donated to the NGS.
Other gardens opening on behalf of the scheme during August include: Hidden Valley Gardens, Treesmill, Par, from 10am to 6pm on August 4th, 5th and 6th; Highcroft Gardens, Cargreen, Saltash between 1.30pm and 5.30pm on August 3rd and 17th and Marsh Villa Gardens, St Andrews Rd, Par, between 10am and 6pm on August 9th and 10th. Full details are available at the NGS website ngs.org.uk.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 3 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 4 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 5 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 6 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 7 8 great family walks in the North West
- 8 Yorkshire Olympians, the Brownlee brothers: where they love to eat, to train and to explore
- 9 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 10 11 of the prettiest villages in North Devon