Falmouth named as one of the top spots to live in the UK
- Credit: Archant
Its beaches, giant natural harbour, superb sailing, eateries and vibrant programme of festivals has all helped Falmouth become one of The Sunday Times Best Places to Live poll. Marking its second year, Falmouth was ranked number five in the poll’s South West list
Described as: 'a buzzing beach babe that's as close Britain gets to the California/Barcelona city-by-the-sea lifestyle', the piece praises the town's creative and arty scene, as well as continually complimenting the coastal location and lifestyle,
The Sunday Times writes: "Naturally, the biggest attraction is the coast. We think Gyllyngvase is the best town beach in the country (holler if you think you know better), with yoga classes, safe swimming, paddleboarding and occasional surfable waves, as well as a panoramic café/bar restaurant and well-kept changing rooms and showers."
They continue to highlight the much-loved 'Falifornia' feel saying: "If you tire of Gylly, head to one of Falmouth's three other beaches; there's serious sailing on the surrounding creeks, and estuaries and sparkling views in every direction. Joggers and cyclists have a huge choice of scenic routes, the best of which take in Pendennis Point, where you'll certainly see seals and seabirds, and may catch a glimpse of a passing dolphin or basking shark."
The Sunday Times' methodology uses statistics, including exclusive, up to date house prices provided by Habito and TwentyCi, but also the knowledge of The Sunday Times' expert panel. The supplement assesses a wide range of factors, from employment, schools and broadband speed to culture, community spirit and local shops, in order to compile the definitive top locations to live.
This year they were also looking for community spirit along with convenience and culture.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 WIN a holiday to the Isles of Scilly worth £1000
- 3 Win a 2 night beach stay at The Beachcroft Hotel in Sussex
- 4 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 5 23 cottages that will make you want to move to Surrey
- 6 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 7 WIN £500 worth of preloved designer clothes
- 8 8 great family walks in the North West
- 9 11 pretty riverside pubs in Hertfordshire
- 10 WIN a hamper of Sky Wave Gin worth £170