Gormley at Clavell Tower’s Golden Weekend
- Credit: Archant
A special Golden Weekend on 16 and 17 May will mark the 50th anniversary of the Landmark Trust, who since 1965 have rescued over 200 significant buildings for the nation including Clavell Tower on the cliffs at Kimmeridge Bay.
They rescued this important Dorset landmark from falling into the sea by dismantling it and rebuilding it brick by brick on sounder footings back in 2002.
Thanks to the Landmark Trust these survivors now have a new lease of life as self-catering accommodation, and welcome 54,000 guests a year. Over the Golden Weekend visitors will not only be able to look around the distinctive Dorset tower, but they will also see a striking life-sized cast iron sculpture on the shoreline specially created for Landmark’s 50th anniversary by renowned artist Antony Gormley.
It is one of five sculptures around the country, collectively called LAND and Antony Gormley’s only solo outdoor installation in the UK in 2015. The public will be able to enjoy these very special sculptures, which are in Dorset, Suffolk, the Mull of Kintyre, Warwickshire and Lundy Island, until May 2016.
Another highlight will be a simultaneous performance at 3pm of An Anthem for Landmarkat each of the 25 open Landmarks. At Clavell, the Dorset-based Freedance Choir will sing the piece which has been composed by Kerry Andrew who visited Clavell Tower as part of the creative process. Also during the Golden Weekend, Dorset Wildlife Trust’s Fine Foundation Marine Centre will be open for a variety of family activities including eco-crabbing and rockpool rambles or make use of the famous Kimmeridge Snorkel Trail.
Find out more at landmarktrust.org.
• How we’d answer some of the most popular Dorset Google searches - Starting a search on Google brings up a whole range of suggested searches based on what people are asking a lot. Here we answer some of the world’s most pressing queries about Dorset...
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 WIN £200 worth of luxury silk bed products
- 3 Win a luxury ladies watch worth £199
- 4 10 Cheshire walks close to AA recommended pubs
- 5 Win £500 of English wine from Lyme Bay Winery
- 6 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 7 Win super stylish summer shades!
- 8 Win a watercolour painting of The Matchings by artist James Merriott
- 9 A 5.3 mile circular walk around Sandwich
- 10 13 delicious afternoon teas to try in Somerset