Madness as vintage tank unearthed at Denbies Wine Estate in Dorking
- Credit: Archant
World War Two historian Rick Wedlock digs up English “Covenanter” tank at Dorking’s Denbies Wine Estate, with a little help from Madness frontman Suggs and archaeologist Stephen Taylor…
During Denbies Wine Estate’s 30 year history, the vineyard has often played host to the weird (remember James May’s Lego house?!) and wonderful.
There have been few moments more surreal, however, than the sight of Madness frontman Suggs helping to unearth a World War Two tank from among the vines last week.
The Covenanter tank can now be seen in the vineyard for approximately two months, before it’s taken off site to be fully restored.
The archaeological dig, which took place on Tuesday May 23, is expected to form part of WW2 Treasure Hunters and is due to air on the History Channel this autumn.
For more about this story, pick up July’s Surrey Life magazine.
- 1 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 Can you rehome Surrey’s loneliest dog?
- 4 10 great circular walks in Lancashire
- 5 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 6 10 great circular walks in Cheshire
- 7 Peek inside this £1.9m Cotswold house with breathtaking countryside views
- 8 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 9 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 10 Country walks with summer pub gardens in the Cotswolds