Minehead this Christmas
Christmas starts with a bang when Minehead's lights are switched on during the evening of 30 November when the High Street is cordoned off to traffic and the Farmers' Market will be joined by Exmoor Producers out on the...
Christmas starts with a bang when Minehead's lights are switched on during the evening of 30 November when the High Street is cordoned off to traffic and the Farmers' Market will be joined by Exmoor Producers out on the street. There will be Morris men, carolling and live music, and the party atmosphere will be further fuelled by Santa's grotto and a snow machine for the kids. The whole evening will be rounded off with a fireworks display.
Visitors to the town will find not only stores selling gourmet treats and fine wines, but contemporary and traditional jewellery, local handicrafts and a range of locally produced glass and pottery. Arts and craft shops are a strong feature of the town and the Exmoor Producers' Association shop on Friday Street is just one of many that will feature original and enchanting Christmas offerings.
The most exciting way to get to Minehead this Christmas will undoubtedly be on the West Somerset Railway, when you can do so in the company of Santa and enjoy the county's wonderful winter wonderland scenery in the process. The railway will be running regular 'Santa Special' services from Bishops Lydeard and Minehead throughout December.
30 November: Christmas Lights Switch-on
6-9 December: Christmas Tree Festival in aid of Save the Children. Minehead Methodist Church, tel 01643 708689
8 December: Christmas Fayre. Minehead Methodist Church, 10am-12 noon
9, 16, 24 December: West Somerset Railway Santa Specials. Tel 01643 704996 (pre-booking essential)
Minehead TIC: tel 01643 702624
- 1 10 great circular walks in Lancashire
- 2 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 3 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 4 15 festivals and shows happening this summer in Devon
- 5 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 6 9 places to eat out in Chester this summer
- 7 Peek inside this £1.9m Cotswold house with breathtaking countryside views
- 8 6 great walks near Ramsbottom
- 9 7 great walks in Wensleydale
- 10 18 festivals happening this summer in Dorset