Northern Ballet and Phoenix Dance Theatre official opening, Quarry Hill, Leeds.
The new headquarters for Northern Ballet and Phoenix Dance Theatre was officially opened by Prince Edward at an informal reception held in the new �12m building at Quarry Hill, Leeds. Photographs by Kim Hodgson and Justin Slee
The new headquarters for Northern Ballet and Phoenix Dance Theatre was officially opened by Prince Edward at an informal reception held in the new �12m building at Quarry Hill, Leeds.
Supporters and members of the acclaimed dance companies celebrated the event with champagne and canap�s before a performance in the 230-seat studio theatre.
There are seven studios over six floors as well as administrative centres for both Northern Ballet and Phoenix Dance Theatre along with a caf� and bar.
David Nixon, Northern Ballet’s artistic director, said their new headquarters was a bright and friendly building which will encourage invention and creativity as well as showcase their work. It will also allow them to invite others to join and become involved.
The move to the new building comes as cuts are announced in funding from Arts Council England but the dance companies say the new building will help them generate new income by hiring rooms and space for meetings and events.
The opening coincides with the creation of Northern Ballet’s new production of Cleopatra and the Phoenix Dance Theatre’s 30th anniversary.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 WIN a holiday to the Isles of Scilly worth £1000
- 3 Win a luxury break at The Draycott Hotel in Chelsea
- 4 WIN a stay at Hornington Manor's new shepherd huts
- 5 Gardoolet: WIN this summer's best garden game
- 6 Win a two-night stay for two at the Telegraph Hotel in Coventry
- 7 Win a watercolour painting of Wat Tyler Country Park by artist James Merriott
- 8 Win a 2 night beach stay at The Beachcroft Hotel in Sussex
- 9 23 places to find the best views in Devon
- 10 Win a picnic hamper from Booths
Photographs by Kim Hodgson and Justin Slee