Oxshott - Surrey Life Towns & Villages 2013
- Credit: Archant
One of Britain’s most expensive villages, Oxshott is home to a plethora of sporting stars, including Andy Murray
Present day Oxshott is home to numerous Premier League footballers – mainly Chelsea players who are within handy reach of the club’s state-of-the-art training ground at Stoke d’Abernon, near Cobham – as well as high flying business types and media personalities. Houses don’t come cheap round here, however, with property prices among the highest in the whole country outside London.
Murray from Surrey
When not training over in the States, British tennis star Andy Murray lives in Oxshott village with girlfriend Kim Sears. Having won his first Wimbledon title and ending Britain’s 77-year wait for a men’s champion with victory over Novak Djokovic, he’ll undoubtedly be looking to get back out of the limelight and out walking his dogs in the local woods.
Cricket has been played on the site of Oxshott Village Sports Club since 1896. Every May, the venue on Steels Lane hosts Oxshott Village Day. This year’s event raised £2,000 for charity and attracted 3,500 visitors.
- 1 Win a short break in London at The Dilly on Piccadilly
- 2 Devon celebrity chef unveils latest eatery
- 3 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 4 Win a holiday for two on the Isles of Scilly
- 5 8 of the best places for a bluebell walk in Surrey
- 6 Win a selection of Provence Rose wine
- 7 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 8 The mind-blowing new exhibition at Sculpture by the Lakes in Dorchester
- 9 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 10 Off-the-beaten-track beaches in Yorkshire
If you enjoy the outdoors, you’ll love Prince’s Coverts. It is a haven of tranquillity adjacent to Oxshott. The woodlands are owned and managed by the Crown Estates, but are open to the public.
Offering mouth-watering food and drink, with a veranda perfect for warmer days, The Bear (01372 842747) can be found on Leatherhead Road.
The Victoria (01372 843562), right in the heart of the village, has taken a different direction with the Kwan Thai restaurant forming part of the pub.
The luxury four-star Woodlands Park Hotel (0845 0727581).
Oxshott is located on the A244, in between Esher and Leatherhead, off junction 9 of the M25. The train station is on the Waterloo to Guildford line.