Philip Larkin Society fundraising dinner, Hull
A sell-out dinner with guest speaker actress Maureen Lipman has helped the Philip Larkin Society to reach their fund-raising target for a statue in honour of the internationally renowned poet Photographs by Kim Hodgson
An evening with Maureen LipmanA sell-out dinner with guest speaker actress Maureen Lipman has helped the Philip Larkin Society to reach their fund-raising target for a statue in honour of the internationally renowned poet who spent much of his life in Hull.
The Philip Larkin statue created by Martin Jennings will be unveiled in Hull Paragon Interchange next month.
Organisers said the evening raised the �7,000 completing the �90,000 needed to cover the cost of the statue. Carole Collinson, chair of the Statue Commissioning Group, said: ‘We are deeply grateful to all the individuals, businesses, organisations and trusts that have been so generous with their time and money. To have hugely talented Hull celebrities such as Sir Tom Courtenay and Maureen Lipman give their services free over the last few months to help us raise funds has been a great privilege and shows how important the connection is between Larkin and their city.’
The Philip Larkin Society was founded in 1995 on the 10th anniversary of the poet’s death. It has charitable status and aims to promote public knowledge and appreciation of the works of Larkin and his contemporaries.
Photographs by Kim Hodgson
- 1 6 great woodland walks in the Peak District
- 2 5 million pound properties for sale in Derbyshire
- 3 9 of Yorkshire’s best bakeries
- 4 Win a 12 bottle case of mixed wines and champagne from Wharf Side Wines
- 5 Win a signed limited edition print by Fiona Odle
- 6 Yorkshire Wolds walk - Thixendale to Hanging Grimston
- 7 Win a stunning brass table lamp from Opulental
- 8 Win a short break at Landal Darwin Forest
- 9 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 10 Steph McGovern on her new lunchtime show, Steph’s Packed Lunch