QUIZ - Can you name these snow scenes in Derbyshire?
- Credit: Archant
How many of these local landmarks can you recognise?
If you venture out into the Peak District on a regular basis, a covering of snow won’t be a rare sight for you.
With dozens of locations and peaks with an absolute height of over 500 metres above sea level, it’s plain to see why the Peak District is named thus.
In the valleys, the pretty villages and towns are transformed into chocolate box scenes with the covering of snowfall, these picture perfect landscapes wouldn’t look amiss on the front of a Christmas card.
However, the snow can cause problems for people in remote locations and of course, for those of you that live in more populated areas, it can cause disruption to our everyday lives.
Derbyshire suffered its worst winters during 1947 and 1963, the early months of 1947 were the snowiest in living memory. The opening to 1963 proved ‘the coldest winter since 1740.
While we hope that things don’t get as extreme as that this year, we do hold out hope for a little covering of snow to get us in the festive mood and maybe even give us a White Christmas.
We’ve selected a few seasonal photos from previous years to see if you can pass our Derbyshire snow photo test. If you would like to upload your photos of Derbyshire in the Snow – go to our reader photo gallery.
Share this quiz with your friends and family and challenge them to beat your score.
- 1 6 great woodland walks in the Peak District
- 2 Win a 12 bottle case of mixed wines and champagne from Wharf Side Wines
- 3 Win a signed limited edition print by Fiona Odle
- 4 5 million pound properties for sale in Derbyshire
- 5 Win a stunning brass table lamp from Opulental
- 6 9 of Yorkshire’s best bakeries
- 7 Win a short break at Landal Darwin Forest
- 8 Yorkshire Wolds walk - Thixendale to Hanging Grimston
- 9 Steph McGovern on her new lunchtime show, Steph’s Packed Lunch
- 10 First Look: Cool Yorkshire gastro pub launches new boutique rooms