Shamley Green sculptor Jeanne Argent features in Surrey Sculpture Society exhibition
The works of Surrey Sculpture Society are set to decorate the beautiful gardens of Loseley Park, Guildford, this month – and among their number will be the creations of Shamley Green sculptor, Jeanne Argent
Originally published in Surrey Life magazine July 2010
The works of Surrey Sculpture Society are set to decorate the beautiful gardens of Loseley Park, Guildford, this month – and among their number will be the creations of Shamley Green sculptor, Jeanne Argent.
“My inspiration is found mainly in my garden, but I love woods and trees and Surrey has plenty of lovely wooded areas to wander through,” says Jeanne, 66, a founder member of Surrey Sculpture Society.
“Apart from woodland, my favourite landscapes are the South Downs, their rolling contours lit by the reflected light from the sea.”
For her sculpture, Jeanne often takes botanical or landscape subjects as a starting point – using a magnifying glass to study the patterns and textures of plants, seeds, bark, moss etc.
“I have been interested in making things since I was a small child and remember fishing clay out of a pond and modelling some rather smelly animals and figures, which I then gave to my parents!” she laughs.
Surrey Sculpture Society’s exhibition runs at Loseley Park, Guildford GU3 1HS (tel: 01483 304440) from Tuesday July 13 to Sunday August 8. For details, see www.surreysculpture.org.uk
- 1 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 4 Win a G&H Spirits gin set with Sussex Life
- 5 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 6 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 7 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 8 Win a three nights stay at Nydsley Hall in Pateley Bridge
- 9 Afternoon tea in Kent: 15 of the best tearooms
- 10 7 great walks near Kirkby Lonsdale