SIDEWAYS GLANCES: March 30-April 3
Cheltenham-based artist Michael Paul will be showing his new paintings at an exhibition in The Gardens Gallery, Montpellier Gardens, from Friday, March 30 to Tuesday, April 3 2012
Sideways Glances: March 30-April 3
“Come and complete the story!”
That invitation comes from Cheltenham-based artist Michael Paul who will be showing his new paintings at an exhibition in The Gardens Gallery, Montpellier Gardens, from Friday, March 30 to Tuesday, April 3 2012.
Entitled Sideways Glances, the exhibition will showcase around 35 oil paintings, many depicting small groups of people in urban settings. The streets of Cheltenham and London, as well as Edinburgh, Paris and Sicily, provide backdrops to the mysterious subjects that have all been caught in a ‘freeze-frame’ moment.
The collection is largely a study of human interaction. Each painting has an unfinished narrative and the artist’s intention is that viewers will make their own judgements about what is occurring. Furtive glances between strangers? Sullen silences between friends? Who’s doing the watching, and who is being watched?
Michael Paul says, “The idea is that the viewer will make their own contribution, and complete each story. Not everything is spelled out – one person’s idea of what is going on will be quite different from another’s.”
- 1 Tolkien fans won't want to miss this Middle-Earth exhibition in Basingstoke
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 4 9 places to eat out in Chester this summer
- 5 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 6 'Gastro-Glastonbury' festival is heading to Bournemouth
- 7 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 8 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 9 13 of the best afternoon teas to try in Cornwall
- 10 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
The exhibition will be open between 10am and 5pm each day and is free of charge.
IMAGE: 'Suddenly in the Street'