Surrey Film Locations: Adventure
- Credit: traveljunction / Flickr
In these blockbusters, we see Surrey setting the scene for fast-paced adventures, but you’ll have to keep your eyes peeled if you want to spot these familiar locations!
1. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) – Bourne Wood, near Farnham
While the bulk of this all American superhero flick was actually shot at Shepperton Studios, scenes were also filmed in our county’s famous Bourne Woods.
2. Alice in Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass (2016) – Shepperton studios and more
Following on from 2010’s Alice in Wonderland, Disney’s Alice In Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass began filming at Shepperton Studios – and then spread locally. Johnny Depp, Anne Hathaway, Mia Wasikowska and Helena Bonham Carter are this time joined by Sacha Baron Cohen. There have also been sightings at Horsley Park in East Horsley.
3. Finding Neverland (2004) – Richmond Theatre, Richmond
One of a host of films to be shot at this famous theatre, Johnny Depp and co descended on Richmond for this semi-biographical film about playwright JM Barrie.
4.The Golden Compass (2007) – Bourne Wood, Near Farnham
One of the biggest films of 2007, some of the woodland scenes in The Golden Compass, starring Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig, were shot at Bourne Wood.
- 1 I've been taking time out - here's why, says Susie Fowler-Watt
- 2 12 fab things to do in Paignton
- 3 Win a year of farm shop food from Hinchliffe's worth £500
- 4 Review: Edgar House, Chester
- 5 Mother and daughter team Mavis and Michelle Ackerley hunting Dirty Rotten Scammers
- 6 Win an original watercolour painting of Hadleigh Castle
- 7 Cornwall pub walk named second best in the UK
- 8 Win a £500 VIP Ladies Day at Thirsk Races
- 9 Dorset resident in running for Best Shed of the Year
- 10 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
5. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) – Virginia Water
There was not much whinging to be heard in Virginia Water, as Harry spots a Hippogriff and later confronts the Dementors at the famous lake. Incidentally, Harry’s only surviving relatives, The Dursleys, live in Little Whinging, a fictional town located in Surrey. Also, scenes from the fourth instalment of Harry Potter (The Goblet of Fire) were filmed on the banks of Virginia Water lake.
7. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009) – Surbiton Train Station
Eagle-eyed viewers will notice that Harry is actually sat on Platform One of Surbiton Railway Station as he reads The Daily Prophet. The cast also spent several days on location in Farnham for the filming of The Half-Blood Prince - though it didn’t all go quite to plan... Filming suffered a setback when the set was “over smoked” after the movie crew used too much special-effect fog and several scenes had to be reshot.
8. Hugo (2011) – Shepperton Studios, Near Walton on Thames
Martin Scorsese’s first venture across the pond - and in 3-D, too! Executively produced by Johnny Depp, delays in filming caused parking chaos at the famous studios as Captain America and Dancing on Ice were also on location. The automaton was created by an East Molesey maker.
9. The Huntsman (2016) – Waverely Abbey
In the prequel to Snow White and The Huntsman, Chris Hemsworth reprised his role as The Huntsman with Waverley Abbey hosting the film crews between April and May 2015. False walls were added to the historic monument…
10. Into the Woods (2014) – Waverely Abbey, near Farnham
A big-screen movie adaptation of the celebrated theatre classic by Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine, Into the Woods is directed by Rob Marshall and stars Meryl Streep and Johnny Depp. Rapunzel’s castle is a half-historical, half-new creation making use of Waverley Abbey near Farnham. Further scenes were also shot at Byfleet Manor in Byfleet.
11. Jack and the Giant Killer (2012) – Bourne Wood, Near Farnham
A modern-day fairy tale in which the long-standing peace between men and giants in Farnham (well, during the filming at least) is threatened. Filming has also taken place at the Hampton Estate in Seale where a 30-foot beanstalk has been built.
12. Lawrence of Arabia (1962) – Chobham Common, Chobham
The scenes where Peter O’Toole comes off his motorbike were shot at the largest National Nature Reserve in the southeast, Chobham Common.
13. Molly Moon (2014) – Shere
Starring Ben Miller, Celia Imrie and Joan Collins, this independent British film is based on a series of best-selling children’s fantasy books by Georgia Byng. They are centred around the story of Molly, an 11 year old orphan.
14. Robin Hood (2010) – Bourne Wood, Near Farnham
One of the many blockbusters to be filmed in these Farnham woods, Robin Hood saw Russell Crowe staying at Pennyhill Park in Bagshot and filming battle scenes in the woods, where a castle was temporarily erected. Filming also took place on the Hampton Estate around Elstead and at Virginia Water Lake.
15. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011) – Richmond Park , Richmond
Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law reprised their roles as Holmes and Watson respectively, with Guy Ritchie filming at Richmond Park, Hampton Court Palace in East Molesey, and Bourne Woods near Farnham, among other locations.
16. Snow White and the Huntsman (2012) – Bourne Woods, Farnham
Twilight star Kristen Stewart leads a cast that shot at Bourne Wood and Frensham Ponds, near Farnham for a twisted version of the fairy tale. The National Trust site was transformed into a fishing village for the film.
17. Tarzan (2016) – Virginia Water
A steamboat dubbed ‘Adelaar’ magically popped up at Virginia Water, as the stars of the latest Warner Bros blockbuster, Tarzan: The Untamed, headed to the Surrey beauty spot. The film stars Alexander Skarsgard as Tarzan, Margot Robbie as Jane Porter and Christoph Waltz as Captain Leon Rom.
18. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011) – Hampton Court Palace, East Molesey
During the filming of the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie at Hampton Court Palace, Johnny Depp asked for an after-hours tour. A carriage chase in the film spans four locations, from Hampton Court to a full-sized set exterior at Pinewood Studios via St. James Palace and Middle Temple in London.
19. The Mummy (1999) – Frensham Ponds, Near Farnham
Surrey’s very own landlocked sandy beach featured in the Egyptian set film The Mummy, starring Brendan Fraser, Rachel Weisz and John Hannah. Keep your eyes peeled for this popular filming spot.