Surrey Film Locations: Horror
- Credit: JackPeasePhotography / Flickr
In the case of these movies, the usually tranquil Surrey is transformed into a scene of blood and gore… Look closely and you might spot a few familiar places, but make sure you’re feeling brave!
1.An American Werewolf in London (1981) – The Black Swan, Effingham
The Black Swan doubled as the ominously named Slaughtered Lamb in this cult classic starring Jenny Agutter and Brian Glover.
2. Dark Shadows (2012) – Bourne Wood, Near Farnham
Tim Burton assembled an all star cast, including regular protagonists Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham-Carter - and decamped to Farnham.
3. The Earth Dies Screaming (1965) – Shere
Location filming took place in Shere - it was also one of several 1960s British horror films to be scored by the avant-garde Elisabeth Lutyens, whose father, Edwin Lutyens, designed Manor House Lodge in the village.
4. The Omen (1976) – Guildford Cathedral, Guildford
Several scenes from this cult film, starring Gregory Peck and Lee Remick, were shot in the impressive interior of Guildford Cathedral.
5. World War Z (2012) – Dunsfold Park , Near Cranleigh
Not only had Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie been making quite a stir in Richmond by moving to the town during filming, but Dunsfold Park was also invaded by zombies as part of the nightmarish post-apocalyptic film.
- 1 Essex firework displays: The best events for Bonfire Night 2021
- 2 10 of the best Halloween events in Cheshire
- 3 Where to pick pumpkins in Dorset for Halloween 2021
- 4 5 pumpkin patches to visit in Sussex this autumn
- 5 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 6 The Hairy Bikers hit West Yorkshire
- 7 The 5 best pumpkin patches in Somerset this Halloween
- 8 10 great Halloween events in Lancashire
- 9 The 5 best pumpkin patches in Cornwall this Halloween
- 10 Fireworks displays and bonfire night events in Sussex 2021