Surrey Film Locations: Sci-Fi
- Credit: Archant
In the following films, amidst the action and spooky goings-on, you might spot a few familiar places…
1. 28 Days Later 2002 – Waverley Abbey, Near Farnham
As a mysterious, incurable virus spreads throughout the UK, a handful of survivors stop to find sanctuary in Surrey (well, for one scene at least).
2. Children of Men (2006) – Bourne Wood, near Farnham
This dystopian science fiction film features Clive Owen and Leatherhead’s own Michael Caine. The hideout of Jasper, played by Caine, was filmed in Bourne Woods.
3. Dick Barton Strikes Back (1949) – Haslemere
Cinema-goers who went to the old Rex Cinema (now demolished) still remember one particular scene from this film, which was shot in a deserted Haslemere High Street early in the morning. Dick Barton stood outside what was then ‘MacFisheries’ shop on the eastern side of the High Street.
4. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) – Tilsey Farm, Bramley
Scenes shot in Bramley for Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, which were filmed in summer 2013, featured the intergalactic stars surrounded by flaming wreckage - slightly different to the usual pace of village life then. Shepperton Studios was also used.
5. John Carter (2012) – Ham House, Richmond
- 1 Review: Edgar House, Chester
- 2 Win a year of farm shop food from Hinchliffe's worth £500
- 3 Scarborough's spectacular BIG day out for national Armed Forces Day
- 4 The top 10 Glastonbury performances of all time
- 5 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 6 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 7 11 pretty riverside pubs in Hertfordshire
- 8 10 reasons you should visit Canterbury
- 9 Don't miss Hampton Court Palace's divine tulip display this spring
- 10 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
Following the celebration of its 400th anniversary in 2010, Ham House became one of the settings of this Disney Sci-Fi flick based on the 1912 novel A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs.
6. Never Let Me Go (2011) – Hampton Court Palace, East Molesey
Never Let Me Go is based on Surrey raised author Kazuo Ishiguro's heartbreaking novel of the same name.
Interestingly, the main cast are all connected to Surrey in their own way too, Andrew Garfield (raised in Epsom and taking the lead role in Spiderman 3), Carey Mulligan (Oscar-nominated former Woldingham School pupil) and a certain Keira Knightley (who attended Esher College) star. Scenes were also shot at Ham House in Richmond.
7. Thor: The Dark World (2013) – Bourne Wood, Farnham
Starring Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman, Thor: The Dark World sees Bourne Wood host a battle between two kingdoms, featuring a ‘substantial amount of stunts, special effects and approximately 300 extras’.
8. Wonder Woman (2017) – Bourne Wood, near Farnham
With the latest imagining of Wonder Woman hitting cinema screens for the first time in spring 2016, as part of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, the superheroine played by Gal Gadot has also been working on wartime scenes for her own headline feature in Farnham’s Bourne Wood.