Survey uncovers Devon’s most social attractions
- Credit: Archant
Paignton Zoo wins battle of Facebook check-ins
Paignton Zoo has been named Devon’s most social attraction according to a study by camping and glamping specialist Campsites.co.uk. The south coast zoo has received 95,949 check-ins on Facebook - almost 40,000 more than any other Devon tourist spot.
In second place is Exeter Quayside with 52,747 check-ins, followed by Dawlish Warren Beach in third place (52,237) and Torquay’s Princess Theatre in fourth position (41,526). The Big Sheep is the leading social attraction on Devon’s north coast with 31,095 check-ins, putting it in fifth place in the overall list.
The top 50 list has been turned into an infographic of Devon’s most social attractions. Visitors to any attraction can digitally ‘check-in’ on Facebook to give their friends a real-time update of where they are and what they are doing. Once they’ve checked in they can add comments, photos, videos or even live stream to share their experience.
“We are delighted that both of our charity’s Devon-based zoos - Paignton Zoo and Living Coasts - feature strongly,” said Phil Knowling, spokesperson for Whitley Wildlife Conservation Trust.
“We have a very loyal and constantly-growing Facebook audience, so it is very flattering that they are checking in so frequently via Facebook. Not only do many of our visitors check-in, they also contribute photos and videos which we always enjoy sharing on our own timeline.”
Martin Smith, founder of Campsites.co.uk adds: “Every Facebook check-in is an instant reaction from visitors that says ‘wow, I want my friends to know I’m here’.
“We were delighted to see such a wide range of destinations in our top 50, which includes everything from beaches to zoos, gardens to theme parks. Congratulations to everyone who made the list.”
To compile their top 50 list, the team at Campsites.co.uk reviewed the Facebook pages of more than 170 Devon attractions and totaled their number of check-ins.
- 1 Devon celebrity chef unveils latest eatery
- 2 10 of the best restaurants for al fresco dining in Norfolk
- 3 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 4 A stunning £6 million home near Alderley Edge, Wilmslow, and Prestbury.
- 5 Win a unique Peak District Walk book gift box with great map books and photography
- 6 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 7 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 8 The must-have flowers and plants for gardens in 2021
- 9 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 10 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex