Things to do in Surrey this March 2016
- Credit: Archant
Each month, we team up with Guildford’s Tourist Information Centre to reveal some of the best things going on across the county
Originally published in Surrey Life magazine March 2016
Thursday March 3 to Saturday March 5, various times
West End Extravaganza
Expect a fabulous night/afternoon of song and dance from this talented group of students to celebrate 25 years of the Joanna School of Dance. Choreographed by teachers and guest industry choreographers, the show will feature new numbers as well as old favourites.
• The Electric Theatre, Onslow Street, Guildford GU1 4SZ. More at electrictheatre.co.uk
- 1 WIN a holiday to the Isles of Scilly worth £1000
- 2 Win a 2 night beach stay at The Beachcroft Hotel in Sussex
- 3 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 4 23 cottages that will make you want to move to Surrey
- 5 WIN £500 worth of preloved designer clothes
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 8 8 charming market towns you need to visit in Somerset
- 9 9 lovely beaches in Cornwall that allow dogs all-year-round
- 10 WIN a hamper of Sky Wave Gin worth £170
From Friday March 4, various times
This enchanting property reopens for the new season with the exciting addition of Ralph Vaughan Williams’ original study piano, which has been gifted to the National Trust by his widow’s niece, together with other personal items such as his pocket watch and bedside photo of his father (read more in next month’s magazine).
• Leith Hill Place, Leith Hill Lane, Leith Hill RH5 6LY. More at nationaltrust.org.uk/leith-hill-place
Saturday March 5, 11am
Alan Turing: Guildford’s best- kept secret
A new book telling the stories and highlighting the locations associated with Alan Turing and his time in Guildford launches at Guildford Museum. Written by Paul Backhouse, one of the Guildford Town Guides, the book talks about the man behind the computing genius. During the 2016 Guildford Summer Festival, there will be several Turing¬related events around Thursday June 23 (Turing’s birthday), including a new town walk.
• Guildford Museum, Castle Hill, Guildford GU1 3SX. More at guildfordwalks.org.uk
Saturday March 12, 10am to 4pm
Innovate Guildford will showcase the amazing innovation taking place in our county town. They aim to encourage the innovators of tomorrow and to show how science and arts are inextricably linked. This is a free festival open for everyone to explore.
• G Live, London Road, Guildford GU1 2AA. More at innovateguildford.co.uk
Saturday March 12, 10am to 5pm
Historics at Brooklands Classic Car Auction
With its home at Brooklands Museum, the birthplace of British motorsport, the Historics auction house is now firmly established for the sale and purchase of the finest historic, classic and sports cars and motoring memorabilia. Entry to the auction is by catalogue, which costs £30 (admits two) and includes admission to Brooklands Museum.
• Brooklands Museum, Brooklands Road, Weybridge KT13 0QN. More at historics.co.uk
Saturday March 12, 4pm and 7.30pm
The Moscow State Circus
Returning to the UK with its latest production, based on the Russian folklore story of Cvetik¬Semicvetik (or The Flower with Seven Colours) by Valentin Petrovich Katayev, The Moscow State Circus are considered to be one of the greatest and most famous circuses on earth.
• G Live, London Road, Guildford GU1 2AA. More at glive.co.uk
Sunday March 13, 9am
The Surrey Half-Marathon
A closed¬road running event between Guildford and Woking, the Surrey Half Marathon is now a must in the local running calendar. Last year, Sammy Nyokaye was the first runner home in a time of just over one hour. There are various spectator ‘hot spots’ along the route of the race, which also raises money for Macmillan Cancer Support and Woking & Sam Beare Hospices.
• Starts at Woking Leisure Centre, Kingfield Road, Woking GU22 9BA. More at surreyhalfmarathon.co.uk
Sunday March 13 to Saturday March 19, various times
Guildford Spring Music Festival
The seventh Guildford Spring Music Festival presents a week of sparkling performances from Michael Collins, the UniS Big Band, The GSA Singers and The Surrey Mozart Players, to name but a few. This biennial festival was created in 2004 to showcase the many talented musicians with roots in Guildford and the surrounding area.
• Electric Theatre, Onslow Street, Guildford GU1 4SZ. More at gsmf.org.uk
Thursday March 17, 7pm
Jane Austen at Home
Enjoy a lively Jane Austen recital, with engaging drawing room intimacy, at this event celebrating the life, mind and writings of one of our greatest novelists – all taking place in the surrounds of the Great Hall at Loseley Park.
• Loseley Park, Guildford GU3 1HS. More at loseleypark.co.uk
Friday March 18 to Wednesday March 23, various times
International Guitar Research Centre Conference
This major international conference will see some of the most distinguished guitar scholars and musicians from around the world gathering for six public concerts, four keynote lectures and over 50 lecture¬recitals and academic papers. There will also be an installation in the Lewis Elton Art Gallery and a chance to try the latest Moog guitars in the university’s project room.
• Various venues. More at surrey.ac.uk/arts
Music, theatre and comedy
1. Electro-dub pioneers Dreadzone will make The Boileroom, Guildford, shake on Saturday March 5. See theboileroom.net
2. Strictly’s Vincent Simone and Flavia Cacace bring The Last Tango to Woking’s New Victoria Theatre from Monday March 7 to Saturday March 12. See atgtickets.com
3. Written by the actress Maxine Peake, Beryl takes over Kingston’s Rose Theatre from Tuesday March 8 to Saturday March 19. See rosetheatrekingston.org
4. Simon Callow brings Orson Welles: One Man Band to Guildford’s G Live on Wednesday March 9. See glive.co.uk
5. Adam Hills’ Clown Heart takes to the stage at Kingston’s Rose Theatre on Sunday March 13. See rose theatrekingston.org
6. The Leith Hill Musical Festival’s St John Passion is performed at Dorking Halls on Sunday March 13. See lhmf.org.uk
7. The Stranglers’ Black and White Tour comes home to G Live, Guildford, on Monday March 14. See glive.co.uk
8. Get Carter broods at Richmond Theatre from Tuesday March 15 to Saturday March 19. See atgtickets.com
9. Dub Pistols swagger into The Boileroom, Guildford, with their genre-defying music on Saturday March 19. See theboileroom.net
10. The Papa George Band take their Cellar Bar Blues to Farnham Maltings, Farnham, on Thursday March 31. See farnhammaltings.com