Thousands run first Surrey Half Marathon between Guildford and Woking
- Credit: Sussex Sport Photography.com
Over 5,000 people too part in the inaugural Surrey Half Marathon, which saw runners tackle a road circuit from Guildford Spectrum to Woking town centre and back this weekend.
Elite Kenyan athlete Nicholas Kirui crossed the finish line in 1:03:19, with Perendis Lekapana the first woman across the line ten minutes later.
“The event was fantastic, a huge success,” says race director Toby Jenkins. “We’ve seen some great talent, some really fast runners, with everyone from club runners to those taking part in their first half marathon having a great run.”
Charity runners were a real feature of the event, with a predicted £250,000 raised for charities including Shooting Star CHASE, Woking and Sam Beare Hospices, and Parkinson’s.
“I think it’s amazing that we’ve got a half marathon for Guildford and Woking,” says Mayor of Guildford cllr Diana Lockyer-Nibbs. “I’d never have believed we would have this number of people. I think the weather has helped but it’s been an absolutely wonderful day.”
Next year starting in Woking on Sunday March 8, entry for the 2015 Surrey Half Marathon is already open with an early bird entry price.
Visit www.surreyhalfmarathon.co.uk for more information.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Win a picnic hamper from Booths
- 3 Can you rehome Surrey’s loneliest dog?
- 4 Visit the village that people never want leave
- 5 For sale: Yorkshire's dreamiest coastal view
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 8 10 National Garden Scheme open gardens to visit in Cheshire this summer
- 9 Wild Essex: 5 hotspots for nature lovers
- 10 11 pretty riverside pubs in Hertfordshire
The top three Surrey Half Marathon men and women were:
Nicholas Kirui - 1:03:19
Boniface Kongin - 1:03:31
Phil Wicks - 1:04:43
Perendis Lekapana - 1:13:30
Linah Cherop - 1:14:50
Gladys Kyambai - 1:15:03
• The annual Richmond Half Marathon is organised by the Ranelagh Harriers, the cross-country running club in Richmond, on Sunday May 4. More @ ranelaghhalfmarathon.webs.com
• England’s largest vineyard, Denbies Wine Estate in Dorking hosts the Bacchus Marathon on Sunday September 14 – complete with wine tasting stations. More @ eventstolive.co.u
• Sunday September 21 sees the first annual adidas Run Reigate Half Marathon, kicking off from Priory Park. More @ www.runreigate.com
• Running mainly along the North Downs Way, the Farnham Pilgrim Marathon is organised by the Rotary Club of Farnham Weyside on Sunday September 21. More @ www.farnhampilgrim.org.uk