10 of the best places to see autumn colour in Hampshire
- Credit: Heike Brueck
Hampshire is full of autumnal scenes this month, so we asked the county’s photographers to share their secret spots for stunning vistas.
Why not get out and about this autumn and enjoy the fresh air and views on offer at some of these Hampshire locations.
The tranquil grounds behind this Anglican Benedictine Monastery are full of red, gold and green as the season changes.
Getting there: The Abbey grounds are open to visitors to wander any time during daylight hours. Abbey of Our Lady & St. John, Abbey Rd, Alton, GU34 4AP
Some may argue there's no finer place than the New Forest for autumn colour, and this photograph of Mark Ash Wood shows off the area perfectly. Go off the beaten track in the Forest and you are sure to be greeted with similar scenes.
Getting there: Grid reference, SU 2465 0730, approx postcode, SO43 7GQ. You could park at Bolderwood Arboretum Ornamental Drive Car Park and follow the grid reference (approx 1-minute walk).
The stunning collection of trees and plants at Harold Hillier Gardens really come in to their own during autumn as this photograph shows. With lots to explore for all the family as well as a busy events calendar, there is always something new to experience.
- 1 Win a fabulous free-range Morton's Norfolk turkey for Christmas!
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 8 charming market towns you need to visit in Somerset
- 4 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 5 The best walks in Dorset to see the autumn leaves
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 You can stay at this adorable Winnie the Pooh 'Bearbnb' in Sussex
- 8 20 of the best restaurants in Essex
- 9 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 10 7 of the best spas in Sussex
Getting there: Open 10am to 6pm, Sir Harold Hillier Gardens, Jermyns Lane, Romsey, SO51 0QA. Entrance fees start at £11.25 for adults and £2.80 for children. Under 5s go free. Concessions are also available.
Get a different perspective of Winchester from this incredible viewpoint just 10 minutes from the city centre. Look down over landmarks such as Wolvesey Castle and Winchester College and take in the beautiful autumn scenes.
Getting there: Park at Chesil Multi-storey, Barfield Close, Winchester, SO23 0HU and take a climb up the steep steps to the park and viewpoint.
Take a circular tour around the lake through Hawley Woods for stunning autumnal views. If surroundings seem familiar, it is because part of the latest Jurassic World movie was set here. Watch out for those stray dinosaurs!
Getting there: Park on the hard standing before the sailing club where trails will lead you around the lake and through the woodland. Old Minley Rd, Camberley, GU17 9QG
5 more to see
- The Forest of Bere - A wonderful mixture of woodland, open space, heathland, farmland and downland not far from the village of Wickham. Includes a great natural playground for children. Open from 8am to dusk, parking charges apply.
- Blackwood Forest - For a true taste of autumnal charm, book a stay in the stunning Blackwood Forest with Forest Holidays. Choose your own luxury wood cabin and sleep among the trees at this magical time of year.
- The Vyne - Once visited by kings and queens, The Vyne is where you can stretch the legs and indulge the eye with autumn colour. A steaming cup of tea and or hot chocolate is a welcome revival after emerging from a landscape flecked with blazing leaves. Entrance is £13 for adults and £6.50 for children.
- Exbury Gardens - A spectacular 200-acre estate that puts on a show as the leaves turn. Hop onboard the 12 ¼ inch gauge Steam Railway and relax as you weave in and out of the breathtaking autumn scenes. Entrance (gardens and railway) is £15.50 for adults in advance and £9 for children.
- River Hamble Country Park - Explore this riverside woodland and enjoy glorious autumn hues at this time of year. The best views are near the river pontoon in Catland Copse on the eastern side of the park, where trees line each side of the estuary. Parking charges apply. Open daily from 8.30am.