Whitbread Chief takes leading role at West Buckland School
West Buckland School is delighted to announce that Alan Parker CBE has become the new Chairman of Governors.
West Buckland School is delighted to announce that Alan Parker CBE has become the new Chairman of Governors. Alan, a former pupil of the school (1960 – 1965), comes into this role following his recent retirement as Chief Executive from the FTSE 100 company, Whitbread Plc.
His visionary leadership and strategic business acumen transformed Whitbread’s fortunes and has made it the UK’s largest hotel and restaurant company with some 600 Premier Inns, 400 pub restaurants and 2,000 Costa coffee stores.
In October 2010, the International Hotel Investment Forum made him the winner of the Lifetime Achievement Award 2011 and Whitbread itself has been named Britain’s ‘Most Admired Leisure and Hotels Company’ in Management Today magazine’s 2010 awards.
Since his retirement in November 2010, Alan has been looking forward to his new role at West Buckland School. He said:
"Going to West Buckland School was one of the most influential events of my life and gave me the values which have guided me throughout my corporate career. I am hugely appreciative of the opportunity that I was given and I am excited about being part of developing the school’s future."
Welcoming Alan in his new role, John Vick, the school’s Headmaster, said:
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Win a picnic hamper from Booths
- 3 Can you rehome Surrey’s loneliest dog?
- 4 Visit the village that people never want leave
- 5 For sale: Yorkshire's dreamiest coastal view
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 8 10 National Garden Scheme open gardens to visit in Cheshire this summer
- 9 4 of the best Norfolk gardens to see rhododendrons
- 10 Wild Essex: 5 hotspots for nature lovers
"We are extremely fortunate to have Alan as part of our team. As a former pupil, he understands the ethos and the values of the school as well as being in a position to lead the strategic vision required for the school’s future."