Why the Clitheroe Auction Mart attracts bird lovers from across the north
- Credit: Archant
Photographer Glynn Ward joined the flock stars heading for one of the region’s biggest poultry sales.
SOME of the best hen parties in Lancashire are held in a large shed on the outskirts of Clitheroe. While the main characters are encouraged to strut their stuff, posh frocks and high heels are not required and the chink of champagne glasses is rarely heard.
Clitheroe Auction Mart is home to of one of the region’s thriving pure bred poultry and waterfowl sales, attracting bird lovers from across the north. Photographer Glynn Ward joined them and took these pictures for Lancashire Life.
Market manager and auctioneer Jeremy Greenhalgh says sales of pure bred birds have gone from strength to strength in the last two or three years, partly because more and more people keep small flocks in their back gardens. ‘Bidding can be quite intense at the sales and we’ve seen people paying as much as £190 for two birds.
‘A lot of people now keep a few as a hobby. They are attractive looking and people like to keep them for the eggs. Everyone is much more interested in traceability when it comes to food.’
The bi-monthly sales also host club competitions where breeders vie to show the best birds. While we were there, the Ribble Valley Poultry Society were competing and their opposite numbers from Longridge will be at the February auction.
It means Clitheroe has something else to crow about.w
At the time of going to press avian flu in parts of the UK meant the movement of birds was being restricted. To find out about the pure bred sales and the weekly general auctions go to www.auctionmart.co.uk
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 8 of the best places for a bluebell walk in Surrey
- 3 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 4 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 5 Win a short break in London at The Dilly on Piccadilly
- 6 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 7 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 8 7 magical bluebell walks in Devon
- 9 Bluebell walks in Suffolk: Beautiful spring woodlands to explore
- 10 Bluebell woods in Derbyshire: Top 5 places to go for woodland walks