Yorkshire Towns and Villages supplement
TOWNS AND VILLAGES in Yorkshire in association with 6box corporate events and promotions
THE charms of Yorkshire’s towns and villages are so numerous it isdifficult to know where the visitor should begin.
Perhaps the ancient city of York is the natural starting point.History is everywhere in this special place, attracting millions of visitors each year. York Minster, the largest medieval cathedral in Northern Europe, is like a magnet for visitors not just from oversees but here at home too. It provides a wonderful day out for the family. The same goes for the city walls which many visitors walk every year to get a real feel for the city. Or you could enjoy the tranquillity of a boat trip on the River Ouse knowing that just a stone’s throw away is one of the most exciting shopping centres in the North.
York also sits at the heart of some of the finest countryside: the North York Moors National Park and the Yorkshire Wolds with the Yorkshire Dales and the Yorkshire coast within easy reach.
There are many market towns in Yorkshire which are not only wonderful places to live but great to visit, especially on market days, and because of their rich history – most can claim a mention in the Domesday book – are ideal for days when you just want to saunter and explore.
Yorkshire is also a centre for rock climbing and fine country walks. Many towns and villages are either in the heart of the Dales or Wolds, or close by, with some very welcoming country pubs and tea rooms. And the region – the biggest in England, by the way – is not short of excellent hotels and B&Bs.
- 1 Can you rehome Surrey’s loneliest dog?
- 2 10 great circular walks in Lancashire
- 3 10 great circular walks in Cheshire
- 4 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 5 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 6 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 7 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 8 Country walks with summer pub gardens in the Cotswolds
- 9 Peek inside this £1.9m Cotswold house with breathtaking countryside views
- 10 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire