Inigo Jones designed Pendell House for sale in Bletchingley – Surrey property
- Credit: Archant
Designed by Inigo Jones, surveyor general of the Kings Works under both King James I and King Charles I, Pendell House is a magnificent grade I listed country house in Bletchingley that is steeped in history.
Pendell House, Bletchingley
A long sweeping driveway flanked by box hedges, fields and orchards leads visitors to the sedan chair gate and the mellow beauty of this property.
Its architect is better known for the Banqueting House at Whitehall, and this country home is a fine example of the English Renaissance movement of which he is probably the most famous exponent.
Constructed in 1636 for Richard Glyn, master of the guild of Tallow Chandlers, its asymmetric design gave larger rooms on one side of the building, an unusual feature.
Today the property has been sensitively restored and updated for modern family living and features beautifully proportioned rooms, some fine period fireplaces and an elegant stone staircase, thought to have been installed in the 18th century by the then owner mason-architect, Andrews Jeffe.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Win a picnic hamper from Booths
- 3 Can you rehome Surrey’s loneliest dog?
- 4 Visit the village that people never want leave
- 5 For sale: Yorkshire's dreamiest coastal view
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 8 10 National Garden Scheme open gardens to visit in Cheshire this summer
- 9 Wild Essex: 5 hotspots for nature lovers
- 10 11 pretty riverside pubs in Hertfordshire
A custom built kitchen by Clive Christian has been installed with a six oven Aga, and the master en suite is a romantics dream.
This elegantly proportioned country house, which has seven further bedrooms, is as striking today as it was when it was first built.
Externally there is a walled private courtyard on one side and at the rear a wide flagstone terrace - from which a lovely outlook over the walled grounds may be enjoyed - and the Elizabethan knot garden.
A long pergola walk leads down one side of the garden giving access to the hard tennis court (in need of renovation), swimming pool and the kitchen garden with the pool house equipment, greenhouse and other outbuildings.
Hartland House, 45 Church Street, Reigate, Surrey RH2 0AD
Tel: 01737 230200