Last word in property
- Credit: Archant
Norfolk is as breathtaking as anywhere in Britain, says Simon Nisbet, of Gilson Bailey estate agents
Many people see Norfolk as a somewhat overlooked corner of Britain. Its countryside doesn’t always get the recognition it deserves when compared to, say, Cornwall, Devon or Gloucestershire, because it doesn’t have the immediate easy charm of quintessential, rolling, rural England. To the unfamiliar its sweeping expanses and vast skies can make it appear rather bleak and uninviting. Yet so many people return, whether to holiday or relocate.
In reality, Norfolk is as breathtaking as anywhere else in Britain but to truly experience its beauty and some natural wonders you have to venture into the rural heartland that is the Broads, with its woodland, fens, grazing marshes, rare plants and wildlife and, of course, the shallow lakes that provide its name. The best way to capture this wonderful place is by boat.
If you’re thinking of moving to the Broads, you won’t go far wrong with Horning, on the River Bure, which has many waterside properties. The village has a great selection of amenities, including pubs, shops, restaurants, tea-rooms, boat trips and other attractions to enjoy.
Coltishall is another thriving riverside village, sometimes referred to as the “Gateway to the Broads” as it marks the start of the navigable portion of the River Bure. The green and staithe are a short way out of the village itself and it captivates visitors with its picturesque setting, riverside pubs, overlooked by fine properties. The main residential part of the village has plenty of old buildings housing shops and businesses
Contact Simon Nisbet at Gilson Bailey, 01603 764444.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 3 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 4 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 5 8 great family walks in the North West
- 6 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 7 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 8 10 of the best restaurants in Hastings
- 9 10 of the prettiest Villages in Dorset to visit
- 10 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire