Making a move to Wymondham
- Credit: Archant
Welcome to wonderful Wymondham and its history of hospitality
Wymondham is celebrating a new chapter in the life of its glorious abbey.
In the biggest change to the ancient church in almost 500 years, two extensions have been added, with space to tell the fascinating story of Wymondham Abbey.
The great west doors of the building, closed for 50 years, can now be opened for ceremonial processions, and modern visitor facilities have been added too. The work has restored some of the features Wymondham’s ancient priory would have offered visitors – including welcome and hospitality.
The twin towered abbey sits on the edge of town, alongside the water meadows of the River Tiffey. Like the abbey, Wymondham itself is a welcoming place – with a strong sense of community. The handsome, historic town is also a progressive place. Sons of the town include Robert Kett, of rebellion fame, who fought against big landowners stealing common land.
Today Wymondham’s popular and successful high schools include Wymondham High Academy in the town itself and Wymondham College in nearby Morley. The town is also home to the Norfolk Police headquarters, a railway station with direct trains to Norwich and Cambridge and festivals celebrating music, literature and beer.
Ideally situated and with a future plan for more than 2,000 homes in the next 20 years plus promised job opportunities, improved public transport and facilities, Wymondham is set to become an even more important town for Norfolk.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 WIN a holiday to the Isles of Scilly worth £1000
- 3 WIN a stay at Hornington Manor's new shepherd huts
- 4 Win a luxury break at The Draycott Hotel in Chelsea
- 5 Win a two-night stay for two at the Telegraph Hotel in Coventry
- 6 Gardoolet: WIN this summer's best garden game
- 7 Win a picnic hamper from Booths
- 8 23 places to find the best views in Devon
- 9 For sale: Yorkshire's dreamiest coastal view
- 10 Blue Flag Beaches in Kent 2021