Is this £1.1m property in the Waveney Valley the ultimate period country home?
- Credit: Clarke and Simpson
The Red House at Withersdale in the Waveney Valley is a five-bedroom village house with a two-bedroom studio and home office, in impressive walled gardens of over an acre
Demand for substantial rural properties has soared as people seek to escape to the country and trade up to something with space to work from home comfortably.
For those with a budget of around £1 million, The Red House, on the edge of the villages of Withersdale and Mendham in the lovely Waveney valley – an Area of Natural Outstanding Beauty – could fit the bill.
The Red House is just 20 minutes from towns such as Harleston, Eye and Diss which has direct line services to London Liverpool Street Station – if communting is still part of the weekly routine.
It is an elegant, red brick, grade II listed house predominantly dating from 1820, with a timber framed and brick wing believed to date from around the 16th century.
It has three floors of well proportioned rooms with period features, all tastefully decorated to create a quietly elegant, yet relaxed and comfortable home.
On the ground floor are the kitchen – with a four-oven Aga – breakfast room, drawing room, formal dining room, spacious butler’s pantry, sitting room and utility room. On the first floor are two principal bedrooms, both with en suites, and two further double bedrooms. On the second floor is a further double bedroom and bathroom.
- 1 Win a diamond ring worth £1,000
- 2 Photography focus: 5 stunning Yorkshire Dales landscapes
- 3 From The Dig to Harry Potter - 5 films shot in Suffolk
- 4 Win a watercolour painting of Gosfield by artist James Merriott
- 5 How a Suffolk man landed a film fan’s dream job on The Dig
- 6 How you can walk in the footsteps of Dracula in Whitby
- 7 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 8 13 Derbyshire-based lockdown films you can watch at home
- 9 Win a signed limited edition print by Fiona Odle
- 10 5 of the most romantic walks in Yorkshire
The gardens of just over an acre, a particular feature of the property, are predominantly enclosed by red brick walls and established shrubs and trees.
In the grounds you’ll also find a detached home office and beyond it a self-contained studio, created out of what is believed originally to have been a cart shed. It offers fantastic overflow accommodation – perfect independent living for an older relative or offspring, perhaps – with kitchen/living room, two bedrooms and a bathroom.
Guide price: £1,100,000 freehold
The Red House, Withersdale Road, Mendham, Suffolk IP20 0JD
For more information and to view the property contact Clarke and Simpson
T: 01728 724200