Property: Step inside the £16 million mansion inspired by a Jaegar watch
- Credit: Archant
Hamstone House was said to be the Duchess of Windsor’s favourite country house
With its concave limestone structure, surrounded by eight acres of landscaped grounds and bordered by St George’s Hill Golf Club, Hamstone House can only be described as an Art Deco masterpiece.
The curved design of the Grade II listed country house was inspired by the contours of a 1931 Art Deco Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso wristwatch when it was originally built for construction tycoon Herman ‘Peter’ Tygesen Lind and his wife, Alba.
In 1937, Alba and Peter, whose company was responsible for landmark projects such as Waterloo Bridge and Beckton Gas Works, decided they wanted a country house close to Central London and acquired arguably the best plot on St George’s Hill, Weybridge, located on a spur directly overlooking the golf course.
Lind commissioned renowned Surrey mansion builder Ian Forbes to build the home, the design for which came about because Alba and Peter’s daughter, Betty, married Thomas Jaeger whose father, Martin, was a member of the famous watch making Jaeger dynasty of Jaeger-LeCoultre fame. Seen from above, the property’s honey coloured hamstone (a form of limestone) façade recalls the contours of the 1931 wristwatch.
The main house offers 20,414 sqft of living space including a grand entrance hall, double reception room, dining room, library, study, family kitchen and breakfast room and catering kitchen, A Grade II listed gate house provides a further 3,132 sqft. Together they offer a total of 10 bedrooms.
On the lower ground floor of the three-storey main house, there is a private health spa with an 18-metre-long swimming pool, plunge pool, gymnasium, billiard room (formerly the house’s bomb shelter visited by Winston Churchill during his time as Prime Minister) a sauna, steam room, massage room, changing rooms and showers.
For further information contact sole agents Beauchamp Estates on 020 7499 7722 or visit beauchamp.com
- 1 Afternoon tea delivery in Suffolk
- 2 Which flooded village lies beneath Ladybower Reservoir?
- 3 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 4 Take a tour of Cornwall’s picturesque harbours
- 5 Afternoon tea deliveries in the Cotswolds
- 6 Photography focus: 5 stunning Yorkshire Dales landscapes
- 7 Win a signed limited edition print by Fiona Odle
- 8 Celebrate the famous women born in Norfolk and Suffolk this International Women’s Day
- 9 12 beautiful photographs of daffodils in Yorkshire
- 10 Lancashire Recipes - Butter Pie