TR Hayes, Bath's largest furniture store, �3 million expansion programme.

Bath's largest furniture store, the family owned and run TR Hayes of London Street, is looking to its future, with the latest phase of its on-going �3 million expansion programme.

But the building blocks for its continuing development are lodged firmly in its long and fascinating past.German Zeppelins, horrendous floods, Second World War bombs and more recently even the quest for Roman remains have all played a part in shaping and adapting the business.

Today the Aladdin’s Cave which is TR Hayes of Bath is built on seven floors, incorporates over 20 surrounding properties, employs a dedicated team of 55 staff and has built up an impressive customer base not only in and around the city but throughout the West of England.It’s all a far cry from the early 1800’s when the Hayes family became chair makers in the East End of London and latterly Thomas Richard Hayes, the grandfather of current long serving chairman Derek Richard Hayes, had his work shop in Orange Street, Bethnal Green.  

The outbreak of the First World War and the arrival of Zeppelins over London, was to have a decisive effect on the family’s fortunes. Their premises were bombed out and Thomas decided it was time to leave the city with his disabled wife and sons William, Humphrey and Thomas Richard junior.  Fortunately one of the flourishing firm’s major customers was Bath Cabinet Makers so it was decided to settle there and TR Hayes established a workshop on the former humpback bridge over the canal in Widcombe and began contributing to the war effort by making wooden parts for the air frames of the Bristol Bulldog fighter aeroplane.

After the war, family life returned to normal for the Hayes and the business started to grow.  Still enterprising at the age of 70 and with an eye to the future, Thomas Richard Hayes decided that he wanted to expand and, not hampered by today’s planning restrictions, simply built a 20ft long extension to the property out across the pavement and that is why The Ram is so prominent in Claverton Street today.  

He worked on into his 80s until his youngest son Thomas Richard junior, who was already assisting in the business, took over the reins and moved the firm to the former Three Crowns pub at Walcot in London Street in 1920.  These premises had been built originally in 1903 after the famous Walcot landslide, which destroyed the houses belowCamden Crescent and created the area which is now Hedgemead Park.

Having been bombed out of their Bethnal Green workshop in the First World War, one could have forgiven the Hayes family for thinking they might deserve to escape the worst effects of World War Two.  Thomas Richard was in his mid 40s during the war and while he was never called up because of poor sight, he and his trusty van, used as an emergency ladder  carrier, saw service with the Home Guard.  His wife sadly died some ten years after the war so his son and later successor Derek Hayes, the third generation member of the family was taken  out of school to assist in the business.

Most Read

Derek , now aged 71, whose only absence from TR Hayes of Bath was a two-year National Service stint with the Army Pay Corps, was soon joined by his wife Margaret who left her job with the former National Provincial Bank to run the office.  Together they have each spent an impressive 55 years developing and expanding their business into the hugely successful and wide-ranging family furniture emporium that it is today. 

The expansion and improvements to the business continue apace now assisted by the couple’s eldest son Richard, who became the fourth generation to join the family firm some 18 years ago.  With his degree in business studies from Warwick University, he has taken on the crucial marketing mantle and looks set to help this amazing business to continue to thrive and prosper for many years to come.

Welcome to TR Hayes a family business offering a wide selection of affordable quality goods since 1915.

Our showrooms cover almost 50,000 square feet over 7 floors.  We also have a customer car park at the side of store.

Address:15-18 London Street,Walcot,Bath,BA1 5BXTelephone:  01225 465757Fax: 01225 444849 Times:Monday to Saturday: 8:45am to 5:30pm Bank Holiday Monday: 10:00am to 4:00pm

Comments powered by Disqus