Yorkshire Properties - West Gables, Thornton-le-Dale, Vale of Pickering
This substantial Edwardian villa sits in the unspoilt village of Thornton-le-Dale to the north of the Vale of Pickering in the national park conservation area.
Where: This substantial Edwardian villa sits in the unspoilt village of Thornton-le-Dale to the north of the Vale of Pickering in the national park conservation area. The village is a popular tourist destination and enjoys an unusually high number of local services including a post office, newspaper/convenience store, baker, three public houses, grocer, two restaurants, gift shops and a doctors’ surgery.
What: West Gables is a substantial detached house built around the turn of the last century of natural stone elevations with ashlar window dressings under a slate tiled roof. The property retains much character but has been successfully improved and modernised over the years. Today the property is a fine family home with the benefit of flexible accommodation, including the potential to create a self-contained annexe.
Interior: The accommodation comprises a drawing room with wood with a large bay window; a sitting room which has recently been enlarged with the addition of a garden room; a dining room; a fitted kitchen complete with an Aga; five bedrooms, the largest of which has an en-suite shower room; and a house bathroom.
There is also good-sized ancillary accommodation which, with the relevant panning consents in place, could be reconfigured to provide a one or two-bedroom self-contained cottage.
Exterior: The gardens are one of this property’s most notable features. A large expanse of lawn is bordered by mature trees, hedging and attractive borders. There is also a pond, two summer houses, an extensive terrace, a productive vegetable garden and a useful fruit glasshouse.
- 1 6 great woodland walks in the Peak District
- 2 5 million pound properties for sale in Derbyshire
- 3 9 of Yorkshire’s best bakeries
- 4 Win a 12 bottle case of mixed wines and champagne from Wharf Side Wines
- 5 Yorkshire Wolds walk - Thixendale to Hanging Grimston
- 6 4 interesting places to visit in the Peak District
- 7 Win a short break at Landal Darwin Forest
- 8 First Look: Cool Yorkshire gastro pub launches new boutique rooms
- 9 Why Ashbourne needs to be your next family outing
- 10 Celebrity TV doctor Amir Khan on how to beat the Covid blues
Contact: For further details, call Jackson-Stops & Staff on 01904 625033 or visit jackson-stops.co.uk and use fastfind 47261.
The print version of this article appeared in the June 2012 issue of Yorkshire Life
We can deliver a copy direct to your door – order online here