Bournemouth student wins national photo award
- Credit: Archant
A class trip to London Fashion Weekend resulted in Bournemouth photojournalism student Maggie Burford winning a prestigious national photo award
Bournemouth photojournalism student Maggie Burford has won the Canon ‘Shoot the Show’ Student Photo Competition at the Vodafone London Fashion Weekend, Britain’s biggest biannual consumer fashion event.
Currently studying a National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ) course at Up To Speed in Bournemouth, Maggie and her classmates attended the event at London’s Somerset House during a trip organised by course tutor Neil Turner.
The students, who study practical photography skills with regular Dorset Magazine contributor Hattie Miles, were asked to submit five of their best shots, edited and correctly captioned within 50 minutes of the show’s end.
“We had to email our shots over and find our own Wi-Fi which proved rather difficult. I honestly thought I’d missed the deadline,” said Maggie.
She received news that she had won from Canon’s Frankie Jim who revealed that it was Maggie’s “technical ability and strong composition” that made her entry stand out from the rest. “It’s always refreshing to see someone trying something new and bold,” he added.
Hattie Miles reckons the prize is well deserved. “Maggie is a talented student and a worthy winner. It’s a great start to what I’m sure will be a successful career.”
- 1 It’s a Cotswold hat-trick at Chelsea!
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 Welcome to Cornwall's most expensive village
- 4 12 great things to do in Tiverton
- 5 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 From The Dig to Harry Potter - 5 films shot in Suffolk
- 8 Meet Maggie, GBBO's 70-year-old contestant from Dorset
- 9 Martin Clunes shares his favourite local places in Dorset
- 10 7 autumn walks in Kent to delight the senses
The competition prize includes a press pass to next season’s London Fashion Week, £500 of Canon vouchers, an F-Stop camera bag and Giottos monopod. Canon UK will also feature Maggie on their Canon Professional Network site.