3 medals won by Shoreham students at ISA Regional Cross-Country event
- Credit: Archant
Shoreham College seniors were in winning action at the ISA Regional Cross-Country event, held in Shoreham at Buckingham Park, romping home to win 2 gold medals and 1 bronze.
First up were the Under 14 boys and girls races; 2500m around what is quite a tough circuit. Adam Firsht led from the start and won the gold medal for Shoreham College. Alfie Lucas finished in a decent 34th position shortly afterwards. Both boys are in Year 7, so these were particularly good results as they were up against Year 8 boys too. Leah Hamilton ran very well and finished 12th to complete the results for the U14s. In the under 14 boys’ race, Joshua Firsht, like his brother Adam, also qualified for the regional team by finishing inside the top ten, he came 4th. Ben Townley finished 19th just in front of Jake Solomon in 21st and Aidan Cannon, who is usually found in a swimming pool, in 22nd. Freya Simpson had a terrific run, she finished 3rd and won a bronze medal in the girls’ U16 race.
But, saving the best ‘til last was Marcus Law who, in the last race of the day won by an incredible distance over the other competitors in the boys’ under 18 event, leaving the other 22 runners way behind. John Shelley, Sports Coach at Shoreham College congratulated Marcus, “An absolutely super race Marcus, simply awesome!” He then went on to say, “The top ten from each event are invited to represent the London South Region at the Nationals to be held on February 28, so I look forward to seeing Adam, Joshua, Freya and Marcus run again at the end of the month.”
Mr Taylor-West, Headmaster said, “Our runners did very well in the ISA regional cross-country event and I was proud of them. I admired all of the competitors from the visiting schools and it was tremendous to see them at Buckingham Park. Cross country is a real test of character and spirit - when it’s cold, hard going under foot and your team needs you, you find out who you are. A great event for young people.”
• 27 famous people who went to school in Sussex - Celebrities and other famous figures who went to school in Sussex.
• Shoreham College to begin 2015 with new Headmaster - Shoreham College is delighted to announce that, following completion of a rigorous appointment process involving the consideration of a strong field of applicants, the Governors have appointed Mr Richard Taylor-West to be Headmaster from January 2015.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 3 10 great circular walks in Lancashire
- 4 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 5 15 festivals and shows happening this summer in Devon
- 6 6 great walks near Ramsbottom
- 7 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 8 9 Devon pubs and bars with great beer gardens
- 9 9 places to eat out in Chester this summer
- 10 Peek inside this £1.9m Cotswold house with breathtaking countryside views