A new musical era for pupils in Chichester
- Credit: Archant
A musician who has worked with many of the greatest classical musicians of our time has come to Chichester as The Prebendal School’s new Director of Music
Nick Carpenter started playing the clarinet at the age of eight and has since gone on to national critical acclaim and performing around the world.
He is Professor of Clarinet at The Guildhall School of Music & Drama, was a member of the London Philharmonic Orchestra for 18 years and has taught children of all ages.
Nick, whose parents are both musicians, was also a Chorister at St Paul’s Cathedral – a tradition which continues at The Prebendal with Chichester Cathedral.
“Children remember those teachers who are really enthusiastic and passionate about their subject so if I can pass my love of music onto the children hereat The Prebendal then I will have achieved a major goal.”
“I have been fortunate to have had so many wonderful experiences as a musician. If I were to single out a few highlights they might be playing at the Last Night of the Proms or in Carnegie Hall and the Sydney Opera House, Chamber Music at Wigmore Hall, coaching the Wind Section of the National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain, singing in services at St Paul’s Cathedral and finally being on the soundtrack to The Lord of the Rings trilogy.”
Head Master of The Prebendal School, Tim Cannell, said: “We are delighted to have welcomed Nick to our school. He is an illustrious musician of some standing and The Prebendal is fortunate to have such a craftsman to carry on and develop the Music Department. We have developed an enviable national reputation as a centre for musical excellence with approximately 95% of our pupils learning a musical instrument.”
- 1 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 4 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 5 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 6 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 7 11 of the prettiest villages in North Devon
- 8 Afternoon tea in Kent: 15 of the best tearooms
- 9 13 delicious afternoon teas to try in Somerset
- 10 8 great family walks in the North West