CELEBRATE CORNISH LANGUAGE WEEK
Speak Cornish Week is asking everyone to learn a few phrases of the Cornish language to celebrate Cornwall's verbal heritage
Celebrate all things Cornish - and learn a few words of Kernow during Speak Cornish Week.
The Cornish language partnership, MAGA, is hosting Speak Cornish Week between 21-28 July, and is encouraging everyone to get involved.
All you have to do is film yourself saying a few words in Cornish, and share it online using social media with the hashtags #10sfylm #speakcornish. MAGA will be sharing their own 10 second films too. Wherever you are, let’s all get involved and show our love for Kernow.
Cornish Language Partnership Chair Councillor Julian German will launch the week online so watch out for his film which will be shared on 21 July, followed by a week of activities including a fish and chip supper, taster sessions, pub sessions and church services. One highlight will be the performance of GogMagog in Perranporth on Friday 25 July which includes English and Cornish languages, and this performance will follow an afternoon of Cornish gems’ in Perranporth. The main event will be a language fair on Falmouth moor on the 26 July – where you can join in with some Cornish language activities, music and dance!
“Speak Cornish week is a great initiative,” said Coun German. “It doesn’t matter how much or how little Cornish anyone has, we should all use it and take pride in it. Everyone can join in with the film challenge – all you need is a phrase in Cornish and your phone or camera to show your support. It is also a good time to decide to learn more Cornish!”
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Win Castle Howard Prom Tickets & a VIP Hamper
- 3 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 4 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 5 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 6 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 7 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 8 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 9 What's On in Yorkshire - August 2021
- 10 5 great walks in and around Kendal