Champion squash player Nick Matthew visits Giggleswick Junior School
- Credit: Archant
Pupils learn how to succeed from one of the country’s leading sportsmen
Celebrated squash player Nick Matthew shared important life lessons with pupils at Giggleswick Junior School, near Settle. He explained the importance of perseverance and hard work in achieving success and said: ‘You don’t have to be the best at what you do when you’re really young.’ And to ‘triumph through adversity’ by using any setbacks as motivation to work harder and become stronger as a result.
Probably the most important lesson he suggested to pupils was to focus on their strengths and turn something they were good at into something they were the best at.
He added: ‘One of the most important things I’ve learned is to find your niche. We can’t all be the best at everything. It’s very easy to focus on your weaknesses, but ultimately if you want to be the best, at some point you need to focus on what you are good at and turn your strengths into super strengths. Find your niche.’
Nick Matthew MBE, a world champion squash player, was speaking at Giggleswick Junior School’s annual speech and prize-giving day which recognises the achievements of all the pupils during the year and its Year 6 leavers ahead of their move to the senior school. He was visiting the school for the first time and it seemed have made a lasting impression.
Among the prize-winners were Ben Kelt and Benjamin Clarke, both from Ilkley, who won the Year 6 prizes for music and religious education in their last year at the junior school. Ben was also awarded a sport scholarship at Giggleswick’s Senior School, which he takes up in September.
- 1 Win a 12 bottle case of mixed wines and champagne from Wharf Side Wines
- 2 Win a short break at Landal Darwin Forest
- 3 A positive outlook for the housing market for 2021
- 4 Steph McGovern on her new lunchtime show, Steph’s Packed Lunch
- 5 Win a stunning brass table lamp from Opulental
- 6 REVIEW: The Pickled Sprout, Harrogate
- 7 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 8 6 great woodland walks in the Peak District
- 9 5 great Boxing Day walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 10 First Look: Cool Yorkshire gastro pub launches new boutique rooms