Exeter student showcases film at Cannes Film Festival
- Credit: Archant
A FILM created by an Exeter student has recently been showcased at the Cannes Film Festival.
The Void, a short film by Aygul Bakanova, who is studying film at the University of Exeter, has been shown as part of the Directors’ Fortnight at the festival this month.
Produced in collaboration with Danish director, Milad Alami, the film also features a star-studded cast, including Lars Mikkelsen of The Killing, Borgen and Sherlock, as well as Game of Thrones director, Dar Salim.
Says Aygul: “Void has become a true experiment for me. Shot in two days on a ferry in the Baltic Sea with a small crew and an outstanding cast, Void tells the story of a middle-aged man trapped in his memories. I very much look forward to watching our film on the big screen in Cannes. It must be quite an experience on its own.”
The movie was a result of an international scheme to bring together emerging directors in the early stages of their career. The Nordic Factory is a unique residency, workshop and film production concept that pairs up young directors and challenges them to produce a short film with a limited budget, shooting time and editing time. The experience aims to create a platform for the directors to build an international awareness and attention, while giving them an opportunity to showcase their work to potential partners and financiers in Cannes.
Aygul is studying for a PhD Film by Practice through the University of Exeter and London Film School doctoral partnership. Supervised by Dr Helen Hanson at the University of Exeter and Peter Gordon at the London Film School, Aygul is developing her PhD project and first feature film, Drifting Snows set in her homeland of Kyrgyzstan.
- 1 9 places to eat out in Chester this summer
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 4 10 excellent fish and chip shops in Kent
- 5 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 6 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 7 6 of the best August walks in Cheshire
- 8 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 9 13 of the best afternoon teas to try in Cornwall
- 10 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District