Hurstpierpoint student wins Sports Personality Award
- Credit: Archant
Hurst student, Jonty Jenner, has won Channel Islands Sports Personality of the Year 2015. The ceremony was broadcast on ITV CI on Thursday 28 January
The 18-year-old was up against strong competition from England Netballer and Olympian Serena Guthrie, Table-Tennis Champion Alice Loveridge, who competed in the 2014 Commonwealth Games and top 25 world ranked Squash player Chris Simpson.
This award capped off an excellent year for Jonty which included winning the National Schools T20 competition with Hurst’s 1st XI, scoring a century against the MCC and being selected in the Team of the Tournament for the ICC T20 World Cup qualifying tournament.
Jonty was part of the double winning side last year who won the Langdale Sussex Cup and the HMC National Schools T20 competition.
Jonty is a member of the Sussex CCC Academy and was recently selected to join the Tom Maynard foundation for the top young cricketer from each county.
Nick Creed, Hurst’s Head of Cricket said: “Jonty is an exceptional player and there is no doubt that he will be in the public eye for years to come. He has already played as 12th man for the Sussex team at Lord’s and will no doubt spend time on the pitch at Hove this season and the future.”
Jonty’s Year of Achievements:
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 10 great circular walks in Lancashire
- 3 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 4 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 5 15 festivals and shows happening this summer in Devon
- 6 6 great walks near Ramsbottom
- 7 9 places to eat out in Chester this summer
- 8 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 9 7 great walks in Wensleydale
- 10 Peek inside this £1.9m Cotswold house with breathtaking countryside views
• Won HMC National Schools T20 Cup and Sussex Cup with Hurst College
• Scored 81 from 34 balls vs Norway in the ICC T20 Europe
• 12th man for Sussex 1st team at Lord’s
• Selected for England U17 trials
• Selected to join the Tom Maynard Trust
• Scored 622 runs for Hurst College at an average of 47.84
• Captained Sussex U17 scoring a century
• Awarded Sussex Academy contract
• 4th highest scorer in ICC T20 World Cup Qualifiers with 210 runs
• Scored 133* against the MCC for Hurst College