Our Lady’s Abingdon
- Credit: Archant
Our Lady’s Abingdon is the only 3-18 co-educational independent school in Oxfordshire
The only 3-18 co-educational independent school in Oxfordshire
Our Lady’s Abingdon (OLA) is a Catholic, co-educational day school situated in the centre of Abingdon. OLA successfully combines academic success, excellence in the creative and performing arts and a broad range of opportunities and challenges beyond the classroom.
Our pupils, from the Nursery to the Sixth Form, are all located on one site, providing a smooth transition from one school stage to the next. Our class sizes are kept small (a maximum of 18 in the Junior School and 22 in the Senior School) to ensure that all our pupils are provided with the individual focus, resources and confidence they need to realise their full potential in a happy and secure environment.
Formerly known as Our Lady’s Convent, the school changed its name in 2009 after becoming co-educational in the Seniors as well as the Juniors. The fully co-educational environment has proved to be a great asset to the school: we have found that educating boys and girls together advances their emotional well-being and ensures that, when they leave school, they are happy and well-adjusted members of society, able to live and work with a diverse range of people.
The school was founded in 1860 by the Sisters of Mercy, and is named after Our Lady of Abingdon, to whom pilgrimages were made from at least the 10th Century. Our Catholic values and ethos continue to inform all that we do, although we warmly welcome pupils of all faiths and none. These values enable our pupils to develop in mind and spirit, and to flourish in all the activities they undertake. As the school motto says, age quod agis – ‘whatever you do, do it well’.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Gardoolet: WIN this summer's best garden game
- 3 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 4 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 5 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 6 Find your inner wild in the woods
- 7 A guide to moving to Somerset
- 8 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 9 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 10 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins