Pupils get on their bikes in Bishop's Stortford
Youngsters at Bishop's Stortford College held a sponsored Wheels Day after being inspired by a talk from a former pupil.
YOUNGSTERS at Bishop’s Stortford College held a sponsored Wheels Day after being inspired by a talk from a former pupil.
Jon Wright and his brother Dominic held an assembly at the school to tell students about their epic 11,000 mile bike ride around world. Having survived cancer twice, Jon wanted to send out the message that ‘cancer doesn’t have to be the end but can in fact be the birth of a new life where you’re stronger than before’.
For their Wheels Day the children brought in their own bicycles and scooters to follow a course around the grounds of Pre-Prep visiting six of the ‘countries’ that Jon and Dom have visited. At the check points, there were special items from the country to look at and food to sample. The children's homemade passports were stamped by friendly officials (pupils from the Senior School) before they set off for the next country.
‘Jon is an Old Stortfordian and the children have been particularly captivated by the role model that he represents,’ said Jane Perkins, Pre-Prep Charities Co-ordinator. ‘Some of our pupils and parents have had their own brushes with cancer, so it brings it very close to home.’
At an initial count, the Pre-Prep cycling venture will raise in excess of �3,500 which will help boost the Plurimi Capital Tropic of Cancer Challenge towards its ultimate aim of donating �100,000 to cancer related charities.
To follow Jon and Dominic’s progress in more detail and to sponsor their amazing endeavour, visit www.tccchallenge.co.uk
- 1 10 excellent fish and chip shops in Kent
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 4 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 5 11 of the most Instagrammble locations in Hampshire
- 6 9 places to eat out in Chester this summer
- 7 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 8 17 of the best things to do in Essex for free
- 9 6 of the best August walks in Cheshire
- 10 Win a three nights stay at Nydsley Hall in Pateley Bridge