Seaford’s Holly Bassett ranks 16th in SUP World Championships
- Credit: Archant
Seaford College Sixth Former Holly Bassett, 17, has just returned from the ISA World Stand Up Paddlesurf and Paddleboard Championship in Sayulita, Mexico, with a ISA World Ranking of 16th place for 2015.
The International Surfing Association hosted over 30 international teams in sunny Sayulita, who competed in surf, distance, technical and prone paddleboard disciplines. The event attracts some of best riders in the world; and the ISA are pushing hard for Stand Up Paddlesurfing (SUP) to be included in the Olympic Games.
Holly’s skill is riding waves; she competes against 4 other riders in 20 minute heats in surf conditions.
During the SUP World Championships, Holly faced both challenging conditions and challenging competitors - the predominant right direction waves were not on her favoured side, and in her first heat she faced current World Champion Nicole Pacelli and Waterman League Tour World Champion Izzy Gomez – making her achievement of placing 16th all the more impressive.
Holly was selected as part of TEAMGB representing the UK; the team overall placed 15th against the competing countries. Holly is currently taking her AS Levels in Maths, English and Business and was revising hard whilst out in Mexico.
At just 17 she has been involved in water sports from an early age. She paddlesurfs at West Wittering Beach; she also took the initiative to raise the funds for the trip via the MAKEACHAMP website and with support from many contributors raised an excess of £3000 for the 12,000 mile trip to Sayulita.
Holly said: “I am so grateful to all the people that made it possible for me to get here to Mexico, and the experience of surfing with some of the world’s best has been amazing! I can’t wait to get back out on the water to progress even more.”
- 1 10 of the best Halloween events in Cheshire
- 2 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 3 Simon Reeve explores the Lake District his new series
- 4 Essex firework displays: The best events for Bonfire Night 2021
- 5 10 great Halloween events in Lancashire
- 6 Win an amazing festive break for two in Devon
- 7 Star cast unveiled for new ITV crime drama set in North Devon
- 8 Fireworks displays and bonfire night events in Sussex 2021
- 9 5 pumpkin patches to visit in Sussex this autumn
- 10 Where to pick pumpkins in Dorset for Halloween 2021
Antony Cook, Seaford College’s Director of Sport, added: “Holly is an amazing talent and is doing incredibly well pursuing a sport that is so up and coming in this country.”