Teeing off at Culford School
- Credit: Archant
Pupils are getting into the swing of things at Culford School with an exciting elite sport programme
Golf isn’t usually a sport which features heavily on the school PE curriculum, but Culford School, near Bury St Edmunds, is hoping to shape the players of the future.
Since September, Culford’s new golf academy for 11 to 18-year-olds has provided promising young players with a high performance coaching programme alongside the usual academic studies, enabling them to fulfil their sporting potential.
The academy is led by Bury St Edmunds-based PGA professional Lawrence Dodd, who is an England elite squad member and has played on the European Tour. The excellent facilities on site at the school enable everyone to have a go at the sport.
“Beginners can play golf during activity time, while those on the high performance programme, who are often golf or sports scholars, have timetabled golf lessons with me, and strength and conditioning sessions in the school’s on-site specialist centre,” says Lawrence.
“Culford also has a covered driving range and a mini course and practice area, with performance players travelling to Royal Worlington as well as Flempton, Bury St Edmunds and Thetford golf clubs.”
The school, which is 40 minutes from Norwich, has 670 pupils from nursery age to 18 years old. As well as day pupils, it also provides boarding on its 480-acre site.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 3 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 4 10 great circular walks in Lancashire
- 5 9 Devon pubs and bars with great beer gardens
- 6 15 festivals and shows happening this summer in Devon
- 7 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 8 6 great walks near Ramsbottom
- 9 Fish and chips in Cornwall you need to try
- 10 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
There will be a golf taster day with Lawrence on Saturday, June 4, which is open to all young players aged 11-13 from around the area who already play golf. It includes a two-hour coaching session and a game at Royal Worlington Golf Club. Call 01284 385308 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book a space;