Fashion: Iconic sunglasses
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Fashion Show director Ellena Ophira chooses her favourite trends from Herts’ boutiques
As you burst from wintry hibernation into the sun, make sure your peepers are well covered with a stylish pair of sunglasses. An accessory like no other, they add instant mystery and glamour to anyone and any look.
This spring, adorn yourself with a statement pair from Robert Roope Optician’s Black Eyewear range for men and women. Located in the heart of St Albans, a humble little store front belies this serious eyewear powerhouse. Each frame is lovingly crafted by Roope himself, inspired by classic eyewear worn by his jazz heroes of the 1950s. Each frame has a personality of its own, designed with a musician or an icon of the period in mind. Picking a pair is like deciding who to channel for the day.
With his customers including the likes of Lady Gaga and will.i.am, you are in good company knowing that Roope’s designs have a seriously stylish seal of approval.
Most recently, the man and his specs have been part of the Bright Old Things campaign at London’s Selfridges, with a whole window and retail space to call his own. Elegant, sophisticated and effortlessly cool, the tricky part is knowing which pair to pick.
With retro being a key trend this season, embrace this look in fabulous big eyewear. Go on, make a spectacle of yourself. Here are my top picks from his statement sunnies, (clockwise from top left) Paloma, £187; Coltrane II, £157; Carmen, £167; Christy, £177.
- 1 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 Can you rehome Surrey’s loneliest dog?
- 4 10 great circular walks in Lancashire
- 5 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 6 10 great circular walks in Cheshire
- 7 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 8 Peek inside this £1.9m Cotswold house with breathtaking countryside views
- 9 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 10 Country walks with summer pub gardens in the Cotswolds
For more tips and fashion news, see Ellena’s blog at stalbansfashionweek.com
St Albans Fashion Week takes place October 26-31.