Health: LadyXsize on group running
- Credit: Archant
TV fitness expert and BBC radio presenter Nana Akua outlines the benefits of group running
Running is like Marmite, you either love it or hate it. But if you’ve never given it a go, it’s a great way of building cardiovascular fitness and endurance running is a great way of burning fat. In fact, running burns more calories than any other mainstream exercise. So where do you begin?
In search of a good running club with a strong community ethos, I came across this nugget: Tring Running Club. Known for it’s annual Midsummer Fun Run and Ridgeway Run, the club is ideal for new runners or people who want to get back to fitness or running – its six week courses aim to get people of all ages ready for a 5km race at the end. You can find more more details at the website tringrunningclub.org
If a club is not your scene and you are near Hemel Hempstead, then join Tom Hallett who coaches sessions for runners of all abilities, from experienced marathoners and ultr-amarathoners to people who have just taken up running and are working towards their first race. It is predominantly a social group and everybody is welcome. Consisting of running drills, interval training, circuits and running-specific exercise, the sessions cost £3 and take place on Mondays at 8pm at Jarman Park running track.
Wear a good pair of running shoes that suit your foot type to reduce risk of injury.
- 1 Win a £1000 rug from Alternative Flooring
- 2 Christmas markets in and around the Cotswolds
- 3 Christmas in Hertfordshire 2021: Top festive markets
- 4 Magical Christmas markets in Surrey 2021
- 5 Win an amazing festive break for two in Devon
- 6 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 7 Inside the Devon home shortlisted for House of the Year on Grand Designs
- 8 Win a Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 Digital Charcoal Grill and Smoker
- 9 Surrey Life meets Strictly costume designer Vicky Gill
- 10 Magical Christmas markets in Sussex 2021