Health & Beauty: top tips for youthful skin
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Time needn’t wither us. Sally Saunders, owner of Esse beauty salon in Melbourn, gives her top tips for smoother, radiant skin at any age
As we age, our skin cell turnover slows down. That is, the time it takes for new skin cells to travel from the lower level of the epidermis to the top layer takes longer. For those in their 40s it can take up to 42 days and for us over-50s it’s up to 84 days, so our top layer of skin could have up to 20 layers of dead cells – yuk!
To make our faces gorgeous and glowing rather than dull and lifeless and our bodies silky and smooth rather than dry and flaky, there is only one way and that’s to exfoliate. There are numerous ways to do this, but the following are my favourites.
For faces, I have recently discovered that micro-fibre cloths are perfect for daily buffing. The cloths have two sides; a smooth and a not-so-smooth. After cleansing, soak the cloth in warm water and squeeze out the excess. Then, using the less smooth side, wipe gently over the face and neck (always in an upward movement), working a little firmer on the dry and congested areas. Using the smoother side, wipe around the eyes and more sensitive areas. Remember, a rosy glow is fine but red irritated skin isn’t!
For our bodies, nothing beats a lemony, oily, salt scrub (like our Lime and Lemongrass version). Before getting in the shower, find a not-too-scratchy body brush and, starting with the soles of the feet, dry brush your body, always in the direction of the heart.
Follow this with an oily salt scrub, which will not only leave your body silky smooth but leave a sensual ‘slick’ on your skin. Remember to pay extra special attention to your heels, knees and elbows.
- 1 10 excellent fish and chip shops in Kent
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 4 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 5 11 of the most Instagrammble locations in Hampshire
- 6 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 7 17 of the best things to do in Essex for free
- 8 18 things to do in the Cotswolds in August
- 9 Win a three nights stay at Nydsley Hall in Pateley Bridge
- 10 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District