Mission Impossible 7 action sequence filmed in the Peak District
- Credit: Craig Thomas Campbell
An elaborate action sequence for the upcoming Hollywood blockbuster, Mission Impossible 7 is has been filmed in the Peak District.
A quarry, near Stoney Middleton was the location of an action scene involving a huge steam engine that was driven over the quarry edge at high speed,
The limestone cliffs that rise above the Stoney MIddleton are famous for a near tragic event which took place in 1762.
At a spot now known as Lover’s Leap, Hannah Baddeley, who was in her mid-twenties, attempted to take her own life by throwing herself off the top of the cliff.
Her lover, William Barnsley, had jilted her and she was determined to end it all. However, fate intervened and as she fell her petticoats acted as a parachute and slowed her fall – she escaped with only minor cuts and bruises. Unfortunately Hannah died two years later from natural causes.
From the early 1960s the abandoned limestone quarries in the area began to attract climbers and for many decades these cliffs became the ‘go to’ place for enthusiasts. A route named ‘Our Father’ was established in 1968 which at the time was recognised as one of the hardest climbs in the world.
Stoney Middleton continues to attract climbers but it is not the mecca that it once was. There are over 350 routes in the area with limestone buttresses that reach up to 160 feet (around 50m) high.
- 1 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 2 8 charming market towns you need to visit in Somerset
- 3 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 4 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 5 From The Dig to Harry Potter - 5 films shot in Suffolk
- 6 Win a fabulous free-range Morton's Norfolk turkey for Christmas!
- 7 Meet Maggie, GBBO's 70-year-old contestant from Dorset
- 8 12 great things to do in Tiverton
- 9 Kent's Tom enters the Great British Bake Off tent
- 10 It’s a Cotswold hat-trick at Chelsea!
Darlton Quarry has an infamous footnote in history as the location of an unplanned air attack by the German luftwaffe during the Second World War.
In recent months, a short run of railway track and a huge scaffolding was erected on the side of the southern face of Darlton Quarry the quarry floor had been excavated to create a pool that would be the landing spot for the dummy vehicle as it propelled over the cliff edge.
Hollywood icon, Tom Cruise was spotted by fans on 20th August 2021, shooting the scenes for the 2022 film, just a few weeks after filming in Birmingham's Grand Central shopping centre.
These photos and video were uploaded to our Derbyshire and Peak District Walks facebook group, join the community to see thousands of fascinating contributions every month.