How to keep Dad groomed to perfection
- Credit: Ted Morrison
Men no longer have a raw deal when it comes to looking after the face and body - especially with Father’s Day this month - says Suzie Abel, Jarrold’s beauty buyer
These days, guys are really savvy about their grooming routines and it has become an important part of their daily life. Evidence of this is seen in the number of regular customers who visit our Men’s Grooming department every day. No longer is it enough to splash the face with soap and water and leave it bare to endure the effects of wind, cold and UV rays. It’s just as easy to have a facial cleanser by the basin which will clean and refresh but without stripping the skin (try Tom Ford for Men Purifying Face Cleanser). Follow with a moisturiser to hydrate and condition (Tom Ford for Men Oil-Free Daily Moisturizer is lightweight and quickly absorbed, leaving the skin toned and bright with vibrant energy). Shaving has now become a work of art too, with a tremendous growth in the popularity of wet shaving and there are three quick and easy steps to achieve the perfect shave – oil, lather and perfect.
1. Oil – soften the bristles with a pre-shave treatment oil to prepare the skin.
2. Lather – use a shave cream on top of the oil and shave in the direction of the beard growth.
3. Perfect – finish off with a post-shave moisturiser to hydrate the skin.
A great example of all three products is available in store from our favourite Norwich barbershop brand Swagger & Jacks - and complete the process with an aftershave lotion or balm.
Just as popular are products for the beard and moustache, and you can see why when you walk around Norwich. There are so many fabulous examples that demonstrate how on-trend this fashion still is. Use a beard shampoo, as traditional shampoos can be too harsh and drying, and keep the beard in tip-top shape with a quality beard oil which will soften the whiskers and leave a gentle scent (try The Dandy Lions Beard Oil). For a splendid moustache to keep that stiff upper lip, there’s nothing better to control and keep it in shape than Captain Fawcett’s Moustache Wax and Comb.
- 1 Tolkien fans won't want to miss this Middle-Earth exhibition in Basingstoke
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 4 'Gastro-Glastonbury' festival is heading to Bournemouth
- 5 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 6 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 7 See inside this 400 year old Prestbury home on the market for £5.6 million
- 8 9 Norfolk hidden history sites opening for free
- 9 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 10 9 places to eat out in Chester this summer
To complete the perfectly groomed male, there has to be the ideal fragrance for him. Is he conservative, sophisticated and prefers tailored clothes? Then the ultimate in premium fragrance is Houbigant Fougere Royale, a recreated version of the very first fougere fragrance for men, or the divine BOIS 1920 Oltremare from Florence. More funky, sporty and modern? Then it’s the brand new Abercrombie & Fitch or Hollister you need to try.
Go on, spoil the man in your life, whatever the occasion!