Juice detox at Simply Healing in Horsham
- Credit: Archant
Suzanne Harrington tries a juice detox at Simply Healing, Horsham
Having recently completed a five-day residential juice cleanse, I would definitely do it again. It was amazing. Amazingly hard, amazingly powerful, amazingly eye-opening. The place I chose, Simply Healing Detox Retreat near Horsham, was warm and welcoming and very comfortable.
The retreat is in a glorious 19th century country house with acres of beautiful grounds in rural Sussex, situated just too far from the nearest village to sneak out for chips. I chose well – it has been voted Best Detox Retreat in the UK by Vogue, and most knowledgeable retreat for fertility enhancement by Conde Nast Traveller. It is the Champagne of detox retreats. Or should I say, the potassium broth.
Each day is filled with treatments interspersed with a small glass of freshly prepared juices, which alternate between green and sweet, and for dinner there is potassium broth. The treatments are gorgeous, and take your mind off the fact that you will not be eating for five days.
Lots of salt scrubs, massages and reflexology. There is even a colon massage which involves stimulating the colon in preparation for my colonic hydrotherapy. I try not to think about it too much.
Next morning I have an inch-loss wrap, which involves standing naked but for a paper thong and being mummified in warm stretchy bandages soaked in clay and algae. I look like a Scooby Doo mummy but lose 14 inches all over.
After an hour of reflexology, it’s time for my first ever colonic. I won’t go into detail, other than to remind you of that scene in Jaws when they open up the shark and a car number plate falls out. Afterwards I feel exhausted.
- 1 Win £500 of English wine from Lyme Bay Winery
- 2 Who is the real Hampshire soldier behind BBC Two's new drama Danny Boy?
- 3 A fond farewell to Torbay from the captain of cruise ship Eurodam
- 4 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 5 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 6 Win a short break in London at The Dilly on Piccadilly
- 7 For sale: Yorkshire's dreamiest coastal view
- 8 Win a modern Guernsey cushion cover kit
- 9 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 10 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
By the end of the five days I am 10lbs lighter, detoxed off sugar and feeling absolutely fantastic. Energetic, enthusiastic and full of bounce. I would definitely recommend doing this once a year – it’s the ultimate MOT for the body.
Simply Healing, Hillhouse Lane, Horsham; 01403 822117; www.simplyhealingcentre.comFive-day juice detox from £1,710 per person
• Eastbourne jeweller wins national industry award - Ashley Pugh, Managing Director of Eastbourne jewellers W Bruford, has received an award for Best Individual Buyer 2015 in the Buyers Power List Awards held at the Jewellery and Watch Fair in Birmingham.
• 5 top tips for weight loss - Diamond Gym in Worthing bring you their 5 top tips for weight loss.