Me and my motor - Donald Mills - 1926 Rolls Royce Tourer
A magnificent 1926 Rolls Royce Tourer in royal blue is the pride and joy of Cheshire Life reader Donald Mills from Conwy
In 1989 having retired after many years of being a Llandudno hotel proprietor, I felt like indulging my long-standing passion of owning a vintage car. Having run a hotel for some 32 years, any such ambition had been impossible before.
After much searching around I eventually located a 1926 Rolls RoyceTourer down in Hampshire. This car had been specially made for the millionaire Rothschild family. It was love at first sight and I took it for a leisurely drive on a sunny day along Hampshire’s delightful lanes. And then the car was mine!
It didn’t take me long to realise that, with a certain amount of work, the car had potential for winning prizes, and this has been done very successfully from London to Carlisle and Middlesborough to South Wales gaining 481 trophies including 101 Best of Shows, 240 1st awards, and 140 other awards. At one Tatton show it won a Peter Price Trophy (Best Alvis, Bentley and Rolls Royce) and the Bank of Scotland trophy for ‘Car of the Show’.
The car, affectionately nicknamed ‘Penelope’ has given me untold pleasure over the years and has now been ‘put outto grass’ being kept in a brick-built garage attached to my house, centrally heated of course.Indifferent health precludes me from using the car now, but I still get a buzz from seeing it under the garage lights.
The print version of this article appeared in the July 2012 issue of Cheshire Life
We can deliver a copy direct to your door – order online here
- 1 10 excellent fish and chip shops in Kent
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 4 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 5 11 of the most Instagrammble locations in Hampshire
- 6 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 7 18 things to do in the Cotswolds in August
- 8 17 of the best things to do in Essex for free
- 9 Win Castle Howard Prom Tickets & a VIP Hamper
- 10 Afternoon tea in Kent: 15 of the best tearooms