Penny Bird’s shoe photography captures local feet
- Credit: Penny Bird
Footwear special to Harpenden residents forms a photographic artwork that reveals more than just shoes
Capturing favourite footwear formed the latest project by Harpenden-based photographer Penny Bird, who has compiled a collection of 35 pairs of shoes in one artwork, all photographed on local residents’ feet.
The result of a series of photoshoots at her home studio, the work is accompanied by a booklet with explanations by the models of why they chose their shoes.
Penny said, ‘From the moment I met the models and saw the shoes, I realised that the project was going to be much more meaningful than I had anticipated. I was overwhelmed by the diversity of footwear and, incredibly, there is no duplication in function, design or even colour. Creatively, it was very rewarding to combine the individual pieces into a collection and I am pleased with the finished work.
‘I don’t see photographs of footwear when I look at Harpenden Shoes. I see photographs of wonderful, unique human beings sharing their dreams, their love of shoes, bravery, determination, romance, memories, confidence, self-esteem and pure enjoyment of life.’
Pictured are a selection of Penny’s photos.
Prints of Harpenden Shoes can be bought from pennybird.co.uk
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 9 places to eat out in Chester this summer
- 3 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 4 13 of the best afternoon teas to try in Cornwall
- 5 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 6 Fish and chips in Cornwall you need to try
- 7 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 8 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 9 6 of the best August walks in Cheshire
- 10 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire