Penny Bird’s shoe photography captures local feet
- Credit: Penny Bird
Footwear special to Harpenden residents forms a photographic artwork that reveals more than just shoes
Capturing favourite footwear formed the latest project by Harpenden-based photographer Penny Bird, who has compiled a collection of 35 pairs of shoes in one artwork, all photographed on local residents’ feet.
The result of a series of photoshoots at her home studio, the work is accompanied by a booklet with explanations by the models of why they chose their shoes.
Penny said, ‘From the moment I met the models and saw the shoes, I realised that the project was going to be much more meaningful than I had anticipated. I was overwhelmed by the diversity of footwear and, incredibly, there is no duplication in function, design or even colour. Creatively, it was very rewarding to combine the individual pieces into a collection and I am pleased with the finished work.
‘I don’t see photographs of footwear when I look at Harpenden Shoes. I see photographs of wonderful, unique human beings sharing their dreams, their love of shoes, bravery, determination, romance, memories, confidence, self-esteem and pure enjoyment of life.’
Pictured are a selection of Penny’s photos.
Prints of Harpenden Shoes can be bought from pennybird.co.uk
- 1 Win a luxury Christmas hamper worth £250 from Bakers & Larners of Holt
- 2 Christmas markets in and around the Cotswolds
- 3 Win a theatre break in Manchester to see The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
- 4 Christmas in Hertfordshire 2021: Top festive markets
- 5 Magical Christmas markets in Surrey 2021
- 6 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 7 Win a £5000 staycation in Cornwall
- 8 Magical Christmas markets in Sussex 2021
- 9 Lancashire Recipes - Butter Pie
- 10 WIN a stunning Jo Downs art piece worth £520