Running club in Dorchester/Weymouth - Dorset Sole Sisters
- Credit: Archant
You can see the Dorset Sole Sisters running in their distinctive sky blue and magenta vests on Monday nights in Dorchester and Wednesdays in Weymouth.
“We started out three years ago,” says Katherine Davis, one of the founder members along with running buddies Lindi and Sandy. “There were 20 or so ladies who liked the idea of a women’s only group because it’s not as competitive as a mixed group – that’s not to say that we aren’t serious about running.”
The club now has 50 members, ranging from mid twenties up to mid sixties, who run routes from four to six miles with a mix of hills and flat work. “We have six qualified running leaders so someone always runs at the back of the group and another leads.” says Katherine, who started running ten years ago with work colleagues.
“In summer we go off road and run in the countryside around Kingston Maurward, across the deer park at Evershot or along the cliffs at Osmington and around the Fleet. My favourite run is along the seafront at Weymouth. In fact many of our members have signed up to do the Weymouth half marathon in March.”
Last year the group set themselves a virtual challenge – a charity run from John O’Groats to Land’s End. “As the crow flies that’s about 605 miles, and even members who didn’t like racing signed up. A 20 minute run easily clocked up a couple of miles towards your target. We raised over £300 for Dorset & Somerset Air Ambulance,” says Katherine proudly.
“I love running outdoors and it’s made special by doing it with a group of like minded women. Everybody comes back buzzing - it’s a great way to keep fit.”
For more details visit dorsetsolesisters.com.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 9 places to eat out in Chester this summer
- 3 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 4 13 of the best afternoon teas to try in Cornwall
- 5 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 6 Fish and chips in Cornwall you need to try
- 7 New for 2021: Be a-mazed by this Cornish hedge
- 8 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 9 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 10 6 of the best August walks in Cheshire