Wrap up warm
- Credit: Archant
it’s getting cold outside, so layer up with a chunky knit topped with the latest ‘blank-mina.’
Fashion guru Paula Fry says …
It’s time to talk knits. Now I normally talk about cashmere, embellishment and the perfect roll neck, but as the chilly season is well and truly upon us, how better to keep warm than with current fashion darling – the woollen wrap.
As seen on the Burberry catwalk a couple of seasons ago, this trend has hit mainstream in a big way, with all the high-street stores making their own interpretation to lure customers.
Of course, the Burberry monogrammed version (or ‘blank-mina’ as they are known – blanket/pashmina) will set you back a cool £1,095, with itscashmere one costing twice as much!
If you haven’t got pockets as deep as Cara, Kate and SJP, take a look at great copy cats from Next, Reiss, River Island, Warehouse, MiH Jeans and online giant ASOS to name but a few. Prices start at just £25 on the high street so if you want to indulge in the trend without selling the family jewels, this is the one for you.
So how does one dress underneath a blank-mina?
- 1 10 excellent fish and chip shops in Kent
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 4 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 5 11 of the most Instagrammble locations in Hampshire
- 6 9 places to eat out in Chester this summer
- 7 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 8 17 of the best things to do in Essex for free
- 9 6 of the best August walks in Cheshire
- 10 Win a three nights stay at Nydsley Hall in Pateley Bridge
• Keep your trousers fitted and your jeans skinny. You want to keep a streamline profile underneath these garments, otherwise they can swamp you. Looking like a well-dressed tent is not the style we are aiming for.
• Boots are the perfect footwear to tie in the whole look. Feeling daring? Go for an over the knee boot – another big hit this season.
• The joy of the wrap is that if it is really cold, you can throw it over a trench or coat for added warmth and a massive 10 out of 10 in the style stakes. Layer. Layer. Layer.
• As the wraps are light to wear, chunky knits are cool too.
• For the ultimate in cool, add a trilby or fedora – so much chicer than carrying an umbrella...Be elegantly Bohemian in your Autograph top £39.50, Limited Edition wrap £45 and Limited Edition trouser £39.50, Marks & Spencer stores in Kent and at www.marksandspencer.com
Linea Weekend ombre faux fur gilet, £99, herringbone crew neck knit jumper £50, Soho slim-leg charcoal jeans £55, PIA slouch cross-body bag £89, available at House of Fraser stores in Maidstone and Bluewater and at:
Worth it for the name alone: the Dolly Llama jumper in dark denim blue is £59 from White Stuff stores in Kent and at: www.whitestuff.com
Be a cheery cheer girl in your Pom Pom Jumper, £59.95 from White Stuff stores in Kent and at: www.whitestuff.com
Cowl slouchy jumper, £42, for those snugly moments, Warehouse stores in Kent and at www.warehouse.co.uk
Stripe Melinda asymmetric knit, £69, Phase Eight stores and concession in Kent and at: www.phase-eight.co.uk